Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am not sure if this post is in the correct forum or not. Here's the problem I am having.

I have my HTPC connected to the VGA input (PC input) of RCA MM52100 RPTV. All the three tubes were burnt due to power spike and RCA took about six months to replace them. Now I have it fixed. The problem is, that the picture ghosts in the left side of the screen. About 20% of the screen from the left side top to bottom has a yellow tinge of ghosting. I do not observe this ghosting or yellow patches while watcing video or any other source. (Maybe the problem exists in the other source inputs too but I cannot tell it.)

I am supspecting if the technician, who I believe is looking at the innards of an HDTV for the first time, did not align something right; like the mirror or the tubes themselves.

I have tried auto-converging many times but it did not help.

You can see in the attached pictures the yellow ghosting to the left of the screen.

You can see larger pictures here

Yellow Ghosting in Icons - 479KB
Yellow Ghosting in Text - 345KB

I would appreciate any help.

I am using GeForce2 DDR (Asus 6800 Deluxe). Windows XP. I am using Asus Windows XP driver. The display is at 800x600 at 60hz (only resolution supported by the monitor in the VGA port).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by obsidience
did you auto-converge in the dark?

-obsidience
No, I did not. Should I?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Convergence is done on a resolution basis, not an input basis. You may not see that problem with any other input unless you have something else going in at 800x600. Try changing the PC resolution to 640x480 and see if it does the same.

I am guessing from the looks of it that it is an alignment/ convergence problem. Since it is only on one side, you would need to go into the service menu to fix the alignement of the red / yellow guns. If you do not know how to do this, get a technician who can.

-Gergg

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no option but to run at 800x600. I have actually noticed this yellow ghosting while watching DVD through the PC yesterday for the first time.

I have tried the red and blue convergence and that did not help. Neither did auto convergence.

Is an ISF technician the only option available now? How much does it roughly cost to get it aligned?

·
Registered
907 Posts
The set definitely supports 640x480 at 60 and 70 Hz. You may have to uncheck the "Show only supported resolutions" box.

The manual convergence for red and blue will not help since they are only for the whole screen. Auto convergence sometimes works for that sort of problem, but it sounds like this is too off on the one side for auto to work.

Like I said, you need to do a convergence from the service menu (or have someone do it).

-Gergg

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gergg,

I can only get the 640x480 to work at 70hz for a few seconds before the screen turns black and then on again and again. 60hz is not working (may be not in progressive mode!). At 640x480 @70Hz, for the few seconds the screen is on, I see that the yellow ghosting is gone on the left side of the screen but somether other type of ghosting appears on the right side of the screen.

I have tried rebooting in safe-mode at 640x480. The ghosting seems to be on the left side of the screen and it is blue (not yellow). Auto convergence did not help.

How can I get access to the convergence menu? Is it easy to mess up the set so bad that a technician cannot fix it later?

If I understand you correctly it will be possible to fix the partial screen convergence problem with the hidden menu option. Is that correct?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well, the fact that different resolutions shows different convergence issues means that convergence is probably the problem. You need to get your set professionally calibrated if you cannot do it yourself. If you have a warranty, then call them.

You can check this web site http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...rvicemenu.html for info on how to access the service menu to do a manual convergence, but you can mess things up even more if you are not careful.

-Gergg

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gergg
Well, the fact that different resolutions shows different convergence issues means that convergence is probably the problem. You need to get your set professionally calibrated if you cannot do it yourself. If you have a warranty, then call them.

You can check this web site http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...rvicemenu.html for info on how to access the service menu to do a manual convergence, but you can mess things up even more if you are not careful.

-Gergg
Thanks Gergg. I could manually converge the red and blue. They were way off at the left and right edges of the screen and the lines were bent. After 2 hours of hardwork now the yellow ghosting is gone - almost. It could be seen very very lightly at certain spots. (I did auto convergence after I manually converged and that screwed up everything, forcing me to do it all over again.)

I have another 5 to 7 hrs of work to do on the set on the remaining 5 inputs!

Even though I got the red and blue lines to converge, I can still see some shadows in the convergence pattern. Maybe Avia should fix it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.