Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Yesterday I used my spare video and audio cables (the yellow, white and red) to make component cables.

I worked but I'm not so sure I can leave it like that, I didn't like the video quality a lot, I think it was better with just the yellow.

Would you recommend getting the correct component colored cables? are they better than the good old Y,w,R??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It's not the color of the cable really but the construction that matters. The yellow, red, and white ones you used probably have a thicker yellow cable (video) and thinner red and white cables (audio).

You'd be better off just picking up 3 video cables and using them as component video.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Those cables will do fine, but I'd only use them for short runs. Use the yellow cable for the Y (luma) channel (easy to remember, heh) because the yellow cable is the thickest, and the Y channel carries the most information.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Beat by a minute :D yeah, 3 video cables would be a little better. But good component cables aren't too expensive, anyway. www.froogle.com

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would get a set of component cables. Component cables are 75ohm coax( 3 video cables)

The cable that your are using the red and white are audio cable.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Yes, the red/white pair are used for audio. But that doesn't mean they're any different from the yellow cable. Many, if not most, use the exact same cable and connectors for all three. Makes it much easier to build the cable, even if the parts might be a little more expensive.

Were it me, I'd get real component cables. Check out www.pacificcable.com

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I did an invertory of the audio-video cables I have at home, about 12 or so purchased over the years. If all 3 wires are the same size your probably OK, But some of the the older ones the audio part of the cable was smaller than the video. So I would still get a good set of component cables.

YES!!!!! FIREFLY IS BACK!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Component video should be much better than composite. If you are seeing a worse picture, something is wrong.

As mentioned above, the yellow cable in your current set could be better than the red and white... and that might account for it. But is this one of those cheap cables that came with some piece of electronics? It might not be well shielded. you might be picking up some interference from something, especially it it's a longer run.

Now I'm not saying to waste money on monster cable (or heaven forbid, something more expensive). just look for a good, thick, inexpensive cable. i've had luck with bluejeanscables, but there are plenty of good inexpensive solutions from this forums sponsors.

--nw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.