AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a new sub and the svs pb-1000 looks good for $500 with 19-270hz in a 46 pound ugly box but Yamaha has a new NS-SW300 with a claimed 20-160hz in a much nicer looking 39 pound box and its price is $340 on buy.com/ebay but currently unavailable. I have searched the internet up and down and cannot find any reviews on the new Yamaha but the price and specs got my attention and I figure the sub will come back available in the next week or so as it comes in and out of stock. Does anyone think the Yamaha can hit 20hz at respectable levels with a 250 watt amp ? they are claiming new square wire and less port noise with a twisted port. Im just thinking that if the Yamaha performs as advertised I could get another one in 6 months or so?

What do you all think ?

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000#.Uw5zWPldUrU

or

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/subwoofers/ns-sw300_w/?mode=model

·
Registered
165 Posts
SVS. We have known good data on how their subs perform.

It's highly unlikely a ported box as small as the Yamaha's is going to have much usable output in the 20-25hz range. I do agree it is a nice looking sub and I like the gain knob out in the front.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SVS PB-1000 Dimensions: 18.4" (H) x 15" (W) x 18.4" (D).

Weight: 46 pounds.

Yamaha NS-SW300 Dimensions (W x H x D) 13-3/4” x 14-3/8” x 16-1/2”

Weight 39.7 lbs.

Yea, I didn't look at the size till you mentioned it and the Yamaha is a much smaller footprint. Still with the Yamaha being a servo sub and the svs being conventional I wonder if NS-300 new magic can compete with a SVS PB-1000.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Servo won't do squat below port tune, which can't be much lower than 25hz given the box size. The SVS should also have a significant output advantage across the entire bandwidth as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the max the Yamaha can do is 20hz because of the servo but most of the output will be around 25hz and higher due to the size of the box.

Thanks for the info

·
Banned
293 Posts
I'd be impressed if the Yamaha has just 1% of the max output of the PB-1000 at 20Hz.

This is a very small ported subwoofer. The port tuning is most likely around 40Hz. The SVS should easily get 30-40dB more output at 20-25Hz. The SVS will easily blow away the performance of that Yamaha in every possible way by a significant margin.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know anything about port tuning. Thanks for the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts