Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got an awesome email. I know that I have been talking to alot of you concerning issues about trying to calibrate your HD display with your STB and how it is virtually impossible since no one seems to be broadcasting the SMPTE color bars and other test patterns. Well I contacted Rachael Weaver over at HD NET about this last night and here is what she had to say:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for writing - you are always welcome to email me with any programming questions you might have! Normally our test pattern (10 minutes long) airs at 8amET on Tuesdays, and 2amET on Saturdays. However on Tuesday, May 13th, and the following Tuesday the 20th of May, HDNet will broadcast a special screening of our test pattern at 10amET.

Thanks,

Rachael Weaver

I'm not certain if this was ever known before, but now... at long last... we have an actual SCHEDULE of when the stuff happens!!!

I am soooooo jazzed!!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not real helpful for people who work. Who would have thought personal days would be used to calibrate a TV?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by meany
Not real helpful for people who work. Who would have thought personal days would be used to calibrate a TV?
What kind of job do you have that you are at work at 7am on a Tuesday or worse yet, 2am on a Saturday????

Guess I am a lucky guy with my crazy 8:30am to 6:00-ish job. :)

Color me a happy camper with this info.

One thing that surprised the heck out of me. Rachael told me it already WAS listed in the schedule on the HD.NET webpage. Guess I am blind cuz I thought I went through 7 days of the week the other night and didn't see anything. Oh well.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
What kind of pattern?

If it's the grayscale pattern, 10 minutes doesn't seem long enough. When I had my Component 1 calibrated for DVD, the ISF tech spent way more than 10 minutes to read gray levels from the pattern, change color settings, and reread the pattern with his instruments to check for correct levels.

Dean

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dwette
What kind of pattern?

If it's the grayscale pattern, 10 minutes doesn't seem long enough. When I had my Component 1 calibrated for DVD, the ISF tech spent way more than 10 minutes to read gray levels from the pattern, change color settings, and reread the pattern with his instruments to check for correct levels.

Dean
Dean,

My guess is the SMPTE color bars. This is good enough for me for now, since no one appears to have done any real ColorFacts calibration stuff for the HLN internals yet. I just want to get a decent baseline as to what this set can do with DVI vs. Comp vs. S-Vid and 10 minutes to do those three suckers for color and tint should be plenty good. We'll see how I did just "eyeballing" compared to viewing the SMPTE bars through my actual TS-160 video source.

As for ISF... I am assuming that is what you meant. I'm not convinced that having THIS set ISF'd is worth it. The technology and these sets in general are far too new. Couple that with the fact that most of the ISF guys in my area have neither the appropriate knowledge about digital tv's NOR the proper test equipment. Sorry... dropping another $500+ to get a few of the inputs calibrated at different resolutions is just not worth it.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Its not on long enough to do anything serious, you can do a few tweaks, but then you'll have to wait until the next time the pattern is on to check your work.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
Its not on long enough to do anything serious, you can do a few tweaks, but then you'll have to wait until the next time the pattern is on to check your work.
I won't argue that point with you, Matt. Yeah... ten minutes is short. Honestly though, it's a step in the right direction for someone like me who has had HD stuff for going on 4 years or so and has never been able to trust his color setup from using a DVD player with Avia or Video Essentials on a given input and then plugging an entirely DIFFERENT video source into that "calibrated" input. I'm not saying this is the be all end all of calibration. I'm just saying that to ME, 10 minutes of SMPTE through my two STB's is going to get me a hell of alot closer to the right color setup than eyeballing or using my laptop or just copying the settings from the S-Vid inputs ever did.

No biggie... just call me excited. It's the little things I guess. I've been waiting for this for awhile and was very happy that they had already had the foresight to broadcast it... despite it's short length.

Thanks and have a great weekend,

Jeff

·
Registered
278 Posts
This does nothing for DirecTV viewers since DirecTV uses HDNet's channel for PPV at those times. (With the possible exception of the irregular 10AM EDT showings)

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceblade
I'm not convinced that having THIS set ISF'd is worth it. The technology and these sets in general are far too new. Couple that with the fact that most of the ISF guys in my area have neither the appropriate knowledge about digital tv's NOR the proper test equipment. Sorry... dropping another $500+ to get a few of the inputs calibrated at different resolutions is just not worth it.
Well, based on personal experience I disagree completely. I had my Component 1 ISF calibrated. That input was not at 6500K. The ISF tech color corrected and did a few other tweaks. Since then DVDs look significantly better. I didn't even expect much of an improvement because I thought it looked pretty good to begin with. But now DVDs (at least ones with good quality video) look awesome. My wife, who always claims she can't tell the difference, sees the difference now.

Dean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.