AVS Forum banner

Yes...another Antenna Suggestion Thread! :)

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Digital Rules 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some assistance in picking a new antenna. I currently have a "lovely" Radio Shack, VU-190 XR.

Antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103087

I not too happy with it....
It came with the house.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to something decent and with a terrific range. I have a Antenna Rotator and the antenna also has a Radio Shack Amp.

Amp:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103094

Like I said, these items came with the house and I don't mind keeping them if these are the best options for me....or if there is something better out there.

My goal is to get Seattle HD and maybe Canada HD?

On a side note....if I do need a different antenna....can I use the existing antenna for a police scanner/FM Radio?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SirChaos

Attached is my TVFool Information on Distance and Direction.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt /forum/post/15422070

It would help if you could tell us which digital stations you get with the VU-190XR antenna. Are you getting any of the Seattle stations? That is a very large deep fringe but rather directional antenna, pretty good for VHF, but not great for UHF reception. Are you having to rotate the antenna a lot? One possible option might be to keep the VU-190XR for VHF and add a CM4221 4 Bay on top of the mast for UHF reception.

Another item you should explore is what stations you can get without the Radio Shack amp. You cannot turn the amp off as that results in almost no signal from the antenna, you need to bypass it - which presumably involves climbing up to the antenna.

Currently with the AMP in place and pointed south towards Seattle:

4-1, 5-1, 5-2, 7-1, 7-2, 9-1 thru 9-5 - Good

13-1, 13-2 Spotty

16-1, 16-2 Spotty to Poor

45-1, 51-1 Good

Pointing North:

12-1 Good

Analog 2 - CBUT Canadian - Spotty

Nothing else.

Another thing to add is that the coax coming from the antenna is RG59 (not RG6). Does that make a difference?

I will probably climb up on the roof later on today and see what I get without the AMP in the loop. It has always been there since we moved in.

Also, if we keep the existing antenna up there and add a CM4221, how do I combine the signal into my receiver?

Thanks for the great help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/15422164

First you should decide whether you want to try for the only low-VHF station on your list that you can realistically receive, the analog Canadian station on ch 2. If you don't need low VHF, you can save a lot of size and weight.

With a setup like the one shown at the link in my sig, which uses an Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF, you can probably get some of the Canadian digital stations at least part time (no guarantees).

As a FYI, I'm about 100 miles from Vancouver BC. I really would like to see if I could get Canada for hockey and curling, as Directv does not carry the CBC.

Another thing is after the digital transition, Channel 9 and 13 will be moving back to VHF High here in Seattle and remain there for DT Transmission.

Discussion starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler /forum/post/15422743

Assuming the radio shack antenna isn't damaged, it may suffice. There's nothing particularly wrong with Radio Shack antennas. Their amplifiers, though, don't have a good reputation. The RG-59 is probably not making the difference (particularly not with channel 2), but if you're going up on the roof anyway, replacing it with RG-6 is a good idea. Particularly since the condition of the RG-59 and connectors is unknown.

If you add a UHF antenna like the CM4221, you could also get a "UVSJ" to combine the UHF and VHF signals. Or, if you determine you need an amp, you could get an amplifier with separate UHF and VHF inputs.

Back from the roof and removed the Radio Shack amp...

Getting stronger signal strength, but alas I'm not getting 13-1, 13-2 and 16-1.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! This has been some great stuff.

Digital Rules, I'm about 10 miles north from KSER-FM, so I don't think I am getting any interference. (hopefully)

I didn't bother replacing the RG-59 with RG-6 today...it started to snow a bit.

Let me ask though....when I do get a better pre-amp....what kind of real life performance should I get from it, because obviously, I didn't get it with the Radio Shack AMP...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.