AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay lets do this: Set aside dead pixels, vertical banding, contrast, black levels, rainbows, headaches, screen door, cropped picture, brightness, inputs, fan noise, artifacts, band loyalty, and lastly price. Which projector yields the best "wow" factor or PQ when viewing DVD movies on the PJ in native resolution (no HD material here please). Assume all projectors are correctly calibrated and viewed from the optimal viewing distance relative to screen size (16:9 format). The choices are X1, Z1, AE300.

I am unable to view all PJ so perhaps someone has seen all three under good viewing conditions can lend some advice.

·
Registered
746 Posts
So what exactly are you measuring? :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
What do you plan on watching? If it is 16:9 material (DVD, HDTV) mainly, then first narrow it down to 16:9 projectors. From that, try to figure out how close you have to sit. If it is a fairly low distance -> screen width ratio, I think the AE300's smooth screen tech would be useful. On the other hand, I'm not totally sure of the veritical banding issue. Some seem to see it while others don't, which makes me think it might be another factor besides the projector.

The Z1's advantage is lower cost and the picture that you can aim. For some people, this might be the only way they can get into front projection.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding but please read the post carefully. I thought is was clear that the "only" measure is picture quality as a whole on DVD viewing only. The blessing and curse of this forum is that everything is measured on a micro level. I just want to know which PJ yields the best picture without breaking down dead pixels, vertical banding, contrast, black levels, rainbows, headaches, screen door, cropped picture, brightness, inputs, fan noise, artifacts, band loyalty, and lastly price.

One PJ must make a more pleasing picture than the rest on DVD viewing I just want to know which one without weighing the pros and cons of each.

Or is it simply that all three PJ have the same picture quality and the only difference between them is the micro differences listed above.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
When your friends, buddies, family, etc. come over and sit in front of the AE300 they will say WOW! (With the AE100, they would say...cool.) Can't comment on the other projectors.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
so you want to ignore all things that deal with PQ and want to knwo which pj will give the biggets wow factor? Well, since you're saying PQ doesn't matter, then all will give the same wow factor since they're all a big screen.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rlindo: PQ is what I'm getting at. Great PQ=WOW factor. Why is this simple question so hard for everyone to understand.

Okay let me stimulate your imaginations. You walk into a dark room with 3 screens. On each screen is one of the three projectors listed above. However you don't know which PJ is projected on which screen. Each PJ is tweaked for optimum quality. One of the screens will yield a more appealing picture. The question is which one?

This is all I'm getting at without breaking down each PJ on micro issues, that's it.

I don't want to see "well the Z1 has the best PQ but I don't like it because the picture is cropped by 30 pixels".

If this last scenario is correct then the answer to my question is simply, "The Z1 wins the PQ contest".

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well Monkey-man, you are asking for a lot. I have been reading this forum most diligently the past few months and to my knowledge, no has seen the X1, Z1 and Ae300 all together at the same time, projecting the same image.

I have to question what the outcome would actually be. Meaning, I take a buddy to the local hifi dealer to listen to speakers. What I think sound the best do not sound the best to him. I would be willing to bet it would be the same with these 3 projectors. You get 5 people to view them and you would have votes for each one as delivering the best PQ.

I know this does not help you very much. Sorry. Based on my experience with the X1, other reviews of the Z1 and AE300, I don't think you could go wrong with any one of these great machines.

Good luck! You are going to need it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You might have to use a process of ellimination since not many people have seen all these projectors. Betw the AE100, TW100 and AE300 I will say the AE300 gives the biggest WOW.

OSxyz, on this thread described how he saw the projectors you mention and thought that the AE300 was best in his opinion.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The problem with your question is this: Your setup is just as important as the projector.

The "best" projector will look like crap in the "worst" viewing environment. Conversely, the "worst" projector will look good in a "great" viewing environment.

Another issue is technology related: For instance, if you are sensitive to DLP issues, then how do you rate the "WOW" factor of watching a DLP projector and within 20-30 your eyes start to hurt and you start getting a headache? Is that of interest any to you?

You have to get into the issues to some degree... at least deciding on

the technology (DLP, LCD, LCOS) AND your budget.

I'm sensitive to DLP's "caffeinated" image so would choose either the AE300 or Z1 out of your list. I'd stretch the budget to the Sony HS10.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On Monday I am going for a demo of the X1 and Z1. I will be walking out with a new projector, which ever one is better. Right now I am leaning toward the X1, however yesterday I saw an Infocus 7200 ($15000 can). The PQ was incredible, but I did notice more rainbows than I have ever seen. I was sitting about 12 feet away and the screen width was 12 feet wide. I hope the X1 doesn't show the same amount of rainbows, because I hate the look of LCD screendoor

·
Registered
232 Posts
monkey, there is no answer to your question. different people value different things and are subject to different deficiencies. one man's WOW might another's YUCK.

i'm struggling with the same three projectors actually.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>because I hate the look of LCD screendoor

don't buy before you've looked at the AE300, maybe someone close to you have one? Look at these pictures for an example of screendoor on the AE300: thread

·
Registered
361 Posts
My wife said WOW tonight seeing a Z1 for the 1st time

This was about a 45x80 DIY Grey paint screen, no real set-up or tweaking. Just the pj on top of a box on top of a table. Monsters Inc.

She was even impressed by a composite video feed from my VCR for regular cable. (I Zoomed in, put PJ in 4:3 windowbox mode)

·
Registered
36 Posts
People say... Z1, nono. I hate screendoor. Hm. Those people use a 2m wide screen and sit 2m from the screen. Oh yeah sure. SCREENDOOR.

Oh my God. ALL pj got screendoor. Stop this stupid nonsense.

My Z1 is showing a 2m wide screen and I am sitting 4-4,5 m from it. There is NO screendoor and the blacks are black, the colors are superb. Sure, maybe the S-Video isn't so good, I don't use it. I give true PS signal from my computer or component from DVD. Supercrisp and very good homecinema at a VERY nice price.

I am tired of the people screaming screendoor. They are prolly sitting with their nose touching the screen... or something... Give it a rest!

I must choose between AE300, Sony HS10, X1, Z1... hm. Z1 is the PJ for me.

NO DOUBT!

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Actually guys the answer is pretty simple...the brightest projector with the most vivid color will produce the biggest WOW factor for the first time/short term/casual viewer.

This IS how they sell TVs and they aren't doing it because it doesn't work.

So to impress your friends (unless they come from the AVS Forum) put your projector in the highest brightness mode (generally presentation and not cinema mode), push the reds a little (not too much) and bump up your contrast, sharpness and brightness controls.

In other words, do everything folks here tell you not to do. :)

Regards,

Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ California
On Monday I am going for a demo of the X1 and Z1. I will be walking out with a new projector, which ever one is better. Right now I am leaning toward the X1, however yesterday I saw an Infocus 7200 ($15000 can). The PQ was incredible, but I did notice more rainbows than I have ever seen. I was sitting about 12 feet away and the screen width was 12 feet wide. I hope the X1 doesn't show the same amount of rainbows, because I hate the look of LCD screendoor
Er...if the 7200 gave you rainbow problems the X1 will likely give you more rainbows. The color wheel is a lot slower if I remember correctly. Might be better depending on ambient light conditions and perhaps screen selection.

Good Luck,

Nigel

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.