AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, some help for a complete dvd recorder know-nothing please. i see that the hdd dvd recorders are a rare species these days. why?

and since they are can i get a couple of recommendations on a dvd recorder for around $300? like another poster said, i see a lot of posts with complaints, but none with "i love this dvd recorder". i will be using a hd cable box i guess, like i said i know nothing about all this. i'm just getting ready to upgrade from basic cable. thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Quote:
i see that the hdd dvd recorders are a rare species these days. why?

Nobody knows for sure. There have been some phony reasons bounced around indicating the manufacturers couldn't make money on the HDD models but that is pure BS in my book. The real reason is that the MPAA has tightened the screws on the manufacturers and they said "uncle". Eventually only the Chinese will be making DVD recorders because the MPAA hasn't found a way to pressure them yet. You may find a few hard drive models from the Chinese in coming months but their build quality might leave a little to be desired.

Right now there might not be anything available in the $300 price range. Good DVD recorders without hard drives should be available for less than $150. $300 used to be the price for the lowest priced hard drive models but since there may not be any of them available now, you may have to save that extra $150. Ebay may still have a few hard drive models but they probably want double what they originally sold for. Not a good time to be shopping for a hard drive model now.

I love my Panasonic E100 and highly recommend it. But they quit making them several years ago and they are no longer available. That is why you won't see most people recommending their hard drive models. They love them but they are no longer for sale. You're about 1 or 2 years too late to the party. About your only hope is to watch Walmart for a cheap hard drive model in coming months.

No current DVD recorder can record HD content but I hear that HD cable boxes will output SD to a DVD recorder? I only have OTA reception so I can't tell you how cable or the small dish receivers work.

Dave

·
Registered
977 Posts
Keep your eye on the Philips DVDR3575. NTSC and ATSC Tuners and 160gb HDD. Early indications are that Philips took my advice (and others here as well) and worked out some of the aggravating bugs that diminished the earlier Philips HDD Model. It is in the $300 range you specified. Available at WalMart so you could try one out for a few weeks and if you don't like it, just return it. It is just now coming out so if you can wait a few weeks folks on this Forum will be posting about this model in depth soon.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred /forum/post/0

Keep your eye on the Philips DVDR3575. NTSC and ATSC Tuners and 160gb HDD. Early indications are that Philips took my advice (and others here as well) and worked out some of the aggravating bugs that diminished the earlier Philips HDD Model. It is in the $300 range you specified. Available at WalMart so you could try one out for a few weeks and if you don't like it, just return it. It is just now coming out so if you can wait a few weeks folks on this Forum will be posting about this model in depth soon.

Philips......

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
As long as you're going to use their cable box, you can also consider the Panasonic EH75. It may be the last of the Made in Japan units being sold.

The TV Guide on Screen feature should work with it. Just get it from Circuit City, so if it doesn't, you can return it easily.

The only thing is that if you get it from CC, it'll cost you considerably more than 3 bills. But, if it is compatible with your box, you can return it and get it elsewhere, if you find it cheaper. I know there are people here finding refurbished ones for a fraction of the CC price. If you can still find the EH55 anywhere for a reasonable price, that would be even better.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
You're about 1 or 2 years too late to the party. About your only hope is to watch Walmart for a cheap hard drive model in coming months.

Namiboy,

conspiracy theories aside, this about sums it up. The 1st generation ATSC tuner models that have been released are all lacking in one way or another. Apparently it is a lot harder to incorporate a digital tuner into a DVDR than just dropping in a new chip and requires substantial new design. These new designs all have bugs.

I would not buy anything now. Keep your money in your pocket and wait for gen-2 models to come out and then read their reviews. If you can't wait, make sure you buy from somewhere that has a liberal return policy with no restocking fees -- you will probably be using it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone for the replies. i guess i'll just go buy some 200 buck panasonic or sony and when they get better or start coming with hard drives buy a new one. i'm learning alot browsing these threads.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Generally, the Panasonics are less "copy protection-sensitive" than the Sony's.

If you have a Big Lots near you, you can check and see if they still have any Panasonic ES-15's for $99.99.

Best Buy has it right now for $114.00.

Might as well get something that can do DVD-RAM, so that it can be used more like a DVR. It's only got an analog tuner, but if you're using a cable box, that shouldn't matter - especially since it's just a temporary solution.

Then go on over to Circuit City and get yourself a 5-pack of Panasonic DVD-RAM'S for 15 bucks and you can record on them over and over and use Chase Play to your heart's content.

I would definitely consider the new Philips DVDR3575 HDD/DVD recorder from Walmart, though, for $300.00. They also sell the RCA DRC8030N 80 GB, analog-tunered model for only $189.00. They're about as hassle-free with returns as you can get. Plus, you've got 90 days to do it. Even if you buy it from their website, you can return it to a store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.