AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
While we're waiting for romy101's review I will chime in with my initial impressions of my new Diva 6.1 package. This includes the 6.1 for mains the C3 center and the R3's for surrounds. I picked mine up from the shipping company on Monday after work. It was a chore unloading the boxes but they were finally hooked up and I let the listening begin. My old speakers were Energy C-2's for mains, the AC300 for center and the RVSS's for the surrounds. It was a nice system and my wife wondered why I needed to get new ones. I always felt I was missing some of the mid-range with the warm Pioneer Elite 27TX receiver and I was right. The 6.1's seemed to open up the sound I felt I was missing. The soundstage was bigger and it was a much better sound. I set them to large but felt they lacked a little punch on the bottom end. Maybe they will be better after they are broken in. Last night my wife and I began listening to CD's and she loves bass and she also felt some of the bottom end was missing, so I set them to small and the crossover at 80, which is as low as my receiver will let me go and had my dual SVS 20-39CS subs handle the low stuff and what a difference that made. Much more bass which she loves but I could do without. At least she noticed the difference in the Diva's over the Energy set up. Then my daughter wanted to play some of her CD's so we played a bunch of songs and we were all enjoying the sound. These speakers are definitely keepers and I would recommend them to anyone looking at upgrading their system. I'm not a technical person so this review is just about what I heard, and I liked what I heard. Now I just need to decide on a 2-channel amp for the mains and see if I can get some more out of these than my Pioneer gives me. I want to thank Russell at ********** for all his help in getting me these speakers. I will be enjoying them for a very long time. And don't forget about the looks and finish, they look like furniture and I love the way the R3's look up on my wall. So off I go to enjoy the sound.

Mike

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all let me say I am not an expert as some of the others on this board so please pardon my simple words and lack of technical jargon.

Boxes galore was the first order of the day. Very well packed. I hooked up the 5.1s and I was not blown out of the water as some may say. What was I missing here? After 5 minutes or so of playing different cds I started realizing that they do sound different. I then hooked my old speakers to the B channel of my amplifier to do an A/B comparison. That is when I realized what I was missing in the old setup. My old Polk Audio RT7s were bland, no life, no spark. The sound stage as some put it was very wide with the 5.1s and was just not there with the old speakers. I heard instruments in space and not in the speakers, I closed my eyes and felt like I was in a much bigger room. The crisp highs and clear mids coupled with the large sound stage made all the difference in the world.

I then hooked up the R2s to hear them as mains. They also had a large sound stage and lacked nothing the 5.1s had except bass. The bass by the way was not there in my opinion but I have a BPS400 sub by Mirage that made everything perfect.

An interesting thing I did was to put my face right in front of the R2s to hear the sound and could not hear the speakers radiating sound. The sound sounded like it was coming from inside the speaker or behind it. With every single other speaker I have had you could hear the sound very localized. This was not the case with the Divas and how they do it is my guess.

Anyways I then hooked up the center channel and popped in Gladiator. Now I have heard this movie before in every local store possible and on my own system 100 times so I know what it sounds like. This is when my jaw dropped and hit the floor.

If the speakers get better with age I will grow old with these puppies. I was the first one to say that my system was fine before I took the plunge to buy new speakers, but somehow you don't know what you're missing until you hear something else.

I didn't know my dvds could sound so good. The speakers look sexy. That's the word that comes to mind. The center channel is a big mutha and my favorite speaker. The R2s are also bigger than I expected and God help me to mount these on the walls as rears. The main 5.1s are also very nice.

All in all I am very very happy with the money spent and even though I was worried about the wife, she said as long as I am happy she's happy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ordered the 6.1, R3 get a C3 for free deal today and found out tonight I have a little extra on the way as well. My wife is pregnant. Puts a damper on the plasma tv but my baby will get to enjoy some great sounding music!

·
Registered
300 Posts
romy101,

Sounds like your experience with your new speakers was a lot like mine. I too am concerned about hanging the R3's. I used a 3" cabinet screw into a stud to hang mine. The screw has a large head and I hope this will be sufficient. I know there was talk of this on one of the other threads. I'm going to email ********** later and find out if there are any better solutions. Enjoy your new set up.

coolmello,

You will love the speakers and your wife will like the way they look. Congrats on your future additions including the baby.

Mike

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I just thought I would add that for me, the speakers (6.1's) did change with use. I know there is a bit of a debate regarding the factuality (

·
Registered
27 Posts
After talking to Russell today, I've jumped onto the bandwagon and ordered my DIva 6.1's today... Since I'm using it right now for only music listening (no DVDA or SACD yet), I only needed the pair.. I'm looking very forward to listen to these, and convincing my friends that the Bose speakers that they think so highly of are really not that good (considering they paid more too!) Hopefully my Onkyo TX-906 will be enough to power it (yes I wanna upgrade that too, one thing at a time..)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congrats on the arrival of your new toys,

Romy,

I also have the 5.1's. did you order the vinyl rosewood 5.1? They do sound very nice. I had a skeptical friend over to listen. He sat back and was wowed by the sound. It is funny how the speakers actually make you rediscover your disc collection. I sit back and thumb through my CD's and say Ohh I gotta hear this song on my system. For me it is kinda funny how this works out. I have Michael Jackson's history his 2 disc greatest hit collection. I never listened to disc 2 with the exception of a couple of songs. But I was so enamoured with the way the Diva's sounded I just let the disc play. There is a song on this Disc that is now my audition song "Anything for money" Tight bassline and open soundstage. I have had this disc for 3 yrs now. Didn't notice this song until the diva's were in place.

Archrr,

Would love to swing out to cali and burn the incense witcha'

Pride 9

I have to say this board may have created a monster. But it sounds like your WAF can be convinced of the NEED for a separate amp.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vinyl rosewood 5.1 was what I ordered and they look just as great as the others. Sounds superb. As the days go by I will be playing with my room setup and trying to mount the rear 2.1s. I will post again my observations if anything new is felt. The finish is so nice I am getting anal about my kid going near them (I guess the same way I was about people eating in the new car when it was new).

I guess the giddiness will wear off as it always does :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
waltj2k,

Well I did convince my wife and I bought a Bryston 4BST from audiogon.com. I should get it next week if everything goes fine with the transaction. I will listen for awhile and then order a Cinepro 2-channel amp and compare the two in my system and keep the winner. Cinepro has a 30-day in home trial I will take advantage of. Who knows maybe I'll keep both of them and use one to drive the surrounds for awhile until I go with 7 speakers. Either way the Diva's are in the house until I die. I did have to promise my wife she could get her granite counter tops. Between the house and my HT we sure spend a lot of money, fortunatley I have only one child whos is older and has a good job. I hope everyone enjoys their Diva's as I'm enjoying mine.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 5.1s (driven by the Onkyo 696) and I was initially concerned about the bass response when I purchased them over the summer. However, now that several months have passed and many hours of use, I am satisfied. I don't have to augment them with the HSU VTF-2 for music listening anymore after a sufficient break-in period. They are truly wonderful.

By the way, Russ was very helpful in determining a suitable R3 mount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pride9
romy101,

Sounds like your experience with your new speakers was a lot like mine. I too am concerned about hanging the R3's. I used a 3" cabinet screw into a stud to hang mine. The screw has a large head and I hope this will be sufficient. I know there was talk of this on one of the other threads. I'm going to email ********** later and find out if there are any better solutions. Enjoy your new set up.

coolmello,

You will love the speakers and your wife will like the way they look. Congrats on your future additions including the baby.

Mike
Romy101 and Pride 9,

First, thank you for your support and kind posts. We are very proud and excited about the performance of the R3's. In designing these speaker we thought of performance first and size and mounting second. I think most people will agree these are among one of the best sounding surround speakers on the market today. To truly get the dynamics we wanted and the dispersion we wanted (and loved) we needed to make them a bit larger than some of the competitor speakers on the market.

Mounting the R3's for some has been a challenge due to the size. The most important thing to remember when mounting the R3's is locating the stud where you will be mounting the speakers.

The bracket that comes with the R3 will hold the weight of the speaker with no problem. We suggest you use a metal anchor to screw the screw into that supports the R3 using the bracket on the rear of the speaker. Also a good idea if you are concerned about vibration is to glue some felt on the speaker where it touches the wall. Another great option is made by a company by the name of Vogel. This bracket will allow you to position the R3 precisely in any direction you want to position the speaker toward. Most better Audio stores will carry this brand. However, I am including the link to look at the bracket and the companies phone number to locate these in your area.

Once the R3's are set up properly you will be blown away at how much more bass and how dynamic and accurte they perform with both music and movies.

I hope this helps everyone that own R3's or are considering the R3's. As always, we are greatful to talk to everyone directly with any concerns or questions that arrise.

http://www.vogelsusa.com/corfrm.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.