AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoyed this show. PQ was qood, and the performance was impressive for a bunch of old guys. I think they are tighter then they were 15 years ago. HDNet seems to have the best programming for my taste of all of the HD channels

JG

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
This one is also available on D-Theater format (or is it just D-VHS, I'm too lazy to go look), and looks amazingly immaculate. And yes, they are tighter, though perhaps a little less soulful. Some of those early concert tapes, where they were fightign the technology to create what was an amazing rock music presentation for the time, are also very good in terms of content, though they suck like a black hole in technical terms compared to this HD concert.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I really enjoyed the show. PQ was 3-5 and sound was 4-5 IMOP. I thought the bass or low end lacked punch, but otherwise a good performance.

~ Jay

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw Yes last night. Though lacking energy, they played well, and the PQ was pretty good with excellent sound. I ordered the DVD during the show. A must have for any Yes fan.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
They were actually giving this tape away with the purchase of a DVHS machine last year. It was one of the first D-Theater tapes I ever watched, and I've kept it around to show friends when they come over.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You guys are talking like this is the current Yes. The House of Blues show was almost 5 years ago. Yes has done a lot since then. They toured after that tour with a Symphony (released on DVD), then released a new album called Maginification which is pretty good, then toured again after Rick Wakeman rejoined the band for the upteenth time, MAN what a show that was. Steve looks even older now, but still plays like the master he is. Jon Anderson still sounds as good or better than he did in the 70's. I think it's obvious they were not as self destructive as some of the other great bands.

They are still producing lots of good stuff. check out www.yesworld.com.

Yes I'm a big fan....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm surprised at the positive comments about the sound quality of this presentation. I thought it sucked - much like most of their live releases.

Don't get me wrong - I love the band. I'm a huge prog rock fan that remembers all this from the origin of the style, earliest releases and concerts.

I have almost all the Yes live releases on either CD & DVD (even old VHS & laserdisc). They almost all have one thing in common - thin, crummy sound! This certainly isn't how they sound live, as I've had that experience a few times. But their live releases all seem engineered to be devoid of mid-range and bass energy. This must be their artistic choice since it seems so consistent, but it isn't very enjoyable to the listener and isn't credible to their live sound.

And before you get the idea it might be my system, here's the equipment: Lexicon MC-12B processor, Theta Dreadnaught amp, Dunlavy SC-IV/a mains, Dunlavy HRCC center. Certainly capable of full range reproduction.

I just hope that some day, Yes will release something that does their sound justice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is a great performance but the sound on HDNet is not quite up to par with the DVHS tape version. The sound and surround is much better on the DVHS tape. Yes is a great band, i enjoy watching them any chance I get....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.