AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank everyone who warned me about the Terk TV 55. As I had not hoped, it is a worthless piece of plastic and wiring.

I had this thing mounted on the roof, hoping to get the best signal possible. I live in Baltimore, maybe 20 miles from my local stations. The Terk TV 55 could not pick up a UHF signal for it's life.

Thinking it was my surroundings, I tried something else. See, I live in a suburban area surrounded by some large trees. I figured that had to be it, so I took my 14 dollar rabbit ears outside and hooked them to the outside diplexer. I picked up all 4 local affiliates (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX)!! And the signal strength was no less than 70% on each station, with CBS hitting 90% when I tweaked the antenni.

I could NOT believe this. The Terk TV 55 is $130, and it was outperformed by a freaking pair of rabbit ears! Well, as soon as I can get it down off the roof it is going back to the store.

However, I have heard from some other forums that Recoton makes a pretty good multidirectional antenna, so I picked up a TV 3000. I'm placing it as high, so I can adjust it without a rotor (Hell, the rabbit ears were sitting on the ground!). Has anyone else had good/bad experiences with this particular antenna?

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Mike-

Stereo Review did a nice article about a year ago on three Radio Shack antennaes and the Terk 60 (the one that looks like a bug zapper). They said putting WHATEVER outside helped a bunch...but the Terk was moderately efective in the New York area 30 miles away. I am in the northern Virginia area about 35 miles due south/southwest, shooting thru some branches. Do you know anything about Davis Antennae---they handle WINEGARD. I am considering one of their larger UHF' s. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I just started playing around with the Recoton TV 3000, and I'll say this, it is pretty nice. It gets better HDTV reception sitting at the ground level not even mounted than that Terk does professionally installed on the roof! And the Recoton was 80 bucks, compared to the $130 I paid for the Terk.

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ironically . . . the rabbit ears are more designed to pick up VHF than UHF yet they still do a better job. GO Figure.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I mounted the Terk and Recotron 3000 on my roof before coming to the conclusion that size matters. Both the Terk and Recotron were terrible! I live about 25 mi from source and couldn't reliably get any channels. I switched to a Radio Shack monster (190XR) which was $50 on sale. It's ugly, but no amplifier and haven't lost a signal since. Most people don't look at the roof on the back of my house anyhow.

I needed both VHS and UHF for digital TV in Cleveland. You might need just the RS UHF antenna.

See:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/011022.html

------------------

Steve

STOP DFAST

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.