AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the seasonal upgrade bug. Hopefully anyone who has had similar symptoms can make some kind of diagnosis…

What are your impressions of ‘older’ A/V Processors vs the newest offerings in A/V Receivers?

In terms of 2-Channel Stereo and HT, my usage is about 50% XBox, 25% Music, 25% HT. Not to lessen the importance of Music or HT, but honestly that is how my time is spent. When I do watch a movie or sit and listen to music, I am very attentive and the quality is becoming more and more important.

My current setup is an older Denon 2800 Receiver for processing and powering the surround speakers. The front channels are powered by a Parasound 855 (85x5) Amp; The L and R front speakers each using 2 of the channels from the Parasound, and the fifth channel drives the center speaker. My CD player is using it’s analog outs and my DVD player is connected to the receiver using coax digital. I imagine that I’ll also be replacing the CD and DVD players with some sort of universal player soon, and hopefully for DVD and CD (redbook) connections use the digital outs and for SACD/DVD-A of course use the analog outs. My speaker set up is Paradigm Monitors (Monitor 7, CC, Mini Monitors) with 10†and 12†subwoofers. I don’t see getting spouse approval for more than a 5.1 type set up…

I’ve seen some pretty good deals on used processors, the ones sticking in my mind are:

B&K Ref30 (with latest software) -- $1250

Lexicon DC-1 (v4 software) -- $1200

Sony TAE 9000ES -- $750

Does anyone have any impressions on these options? I want to spend right around $1000. I’ve eliminated a new Outlaw 950 simply due to my fear of the hiss, and bright 2-channel performance. (these however may not be legitimate concerns…)

On the other hand the new Denon 3803 receiver look very good on paper, with the processing abilities looking pretty stout. Any comments on this as an option (still using my Parasound for supplemental power)? How do you think this Parasound 855 stacks up against the internal amps of the Denon 3803?

Thanks for any comments and thanks for letting me troll over you responses on numerous other posts!

Matt

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...

Also, would there be that much difference in the HT processing performance of my current Denon 2800 and a new Denon 3803?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just went through the same dilemna. I have a good Processor but needed another one for a different room but didn't want to spend more than $1,000. I ended up with a Denon 3803 which I am running through good quality power amps.

When the receiver arrived, I A/B'd it against my Inetgra RDC-7 through Proceed power amps and Revel Gem speakers.

The Denon was very respectable considering the price although the Integra sounded better. The Denon has a bit of digital resonance in the mid range which was particularily noticeable in voices. This isn't a harsh or screechy resonance, I actually find it pleasant to listen to, but voices through the Integra don't have this quality and sound a bit more pure.

The Integra images a little better than the Denon although the differences were pretty slight.

On movies the Denon has a bit of a crisp edge to it although I wouldn't describe it as bright. Imaging on Dolby Digital is excellent. Saw K-19 Widowmaker last night and the scene where they take the sub to 300 meters sounded like the walls between the speakers were collapsing.

Considering the price (paid $899 online) its a reasonable alternative to a used pre-pro. I had a Lexicon DC-1 and although its been a while since I heard it, I think the Denon sounds better on two channel music and 5.1.

Can't comment on the Denon's power amps, I haven't tried them yet.

Duaneadam

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Donnie. I've strongly considered the Rotel 1066 as well, I've heard pretty good things about it. Luckily a local retailer carries both Denon and Rotel, so I'm sure I'll do an A/B comparison. The Rotel 1066 is just a little outside my price cap; I just need to draw a line in the sand or I'll nickel & dime myself. I would be very interested if I could work a deal though...

I B&K Ref30 had me intrigued due to the notch filter, as I do have a slight upper bass null at my listening position (multiple real world speaker placements and homemade treatments have helped a little, but not done away with it).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the B&K Ref30's notch filter's effectiveness?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dn38416
Thanks Donnie. I've strongly considered the Rotel 1066 as well, I've heard pretty good things about it. Luckily a local retailer carries both Denon and Rotel, so I'm sure I'll do an A/B comparison. The Rotel 1066 is just a little outside my price cap; I just need to draw a line in the sand or I'll nickel & dime myself. I would be very interested if I could work a deal though...

I B&K Ref30 had me intrigued due to the notch filter, as I do have a slight upper bass null at my listening position (multiple real world speaker placements and homemade treatments have helped a little, but not done away with it).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the B&K Ref30's notch filter's effectiveness?
Generally speaking it is very difficult to fill in a null. Notch filters are far more effective at taming peaks. Easy to drop the level, very hard to boost it.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dn38416
I have the seasonal upgrade bug. Hopefully anyone who has had similar symptoms can make some kind of diagnosis…

What are your impressions of ‘older’ A/V Processors vs the newest offerings in A/V Receivers?

In terms of 2-Channel Stereo and HT, my usage is about 50% XBox, 25% Music, 25% HT. Not to lessen the importance of Music or HT, but honestly that is how my time is spent. When I do watch a movie or sit and listen to music, I am very attentive and the quality is becoming more and more important.

My current setup is an older Denon 2800 Receiver for processing and powering the surround speakers. The front channels are powered by a Parasound 855 (85x5) Amp; The L and R front speakers each using 2 of the channels from the Parasound, and the fifth channel drives the center speaker. My CD player is using it’s analog outs and my DVD player is connected to the receiver using coax digital. I imagine that I’ll also be replacing the CD and DVD players with some sort of universal player soon, and hopefully for DVD and CD (redbook) connections use the digital outs and for SACD/DVD-A of course use the analog outs. My speaker set up is Paradigm Monitors (Monitor 7, CC, Mini Monitors) with 10†and 12†subwoofers. I don’t see getting spouse approval for more than a 5.1 type set up…

I’ve seen some pretty good deals on used processors, the ones sticking in my mind are:

B&K Ref30 (with latest software) -- $1250

Lexicon DC-1 (v4 software) -- $1200

Sony TAE 9000ES -- $750

Does anyone have any impressions on these options? I want to spend right around $1000. I’ve eliminated a new Outlaw 950 simply due to my fear of the hiss, and bright 2-channel performance. (these however may not be legitimate concerns…)

On the other hand the new Denon 3808 receiver look very good on paper, with the processing abilities looking pretty stout. Any comments on this as an option (still using my Parasound for supplemental power)? How do you think this Parasound 855 stacks up against the internal amps of the Denon 3803?

Thanks for any comments and thanks for letting me troll over you responses on numerous other posts!

Matt
Why do you feel you need to upgrade each season? Are you not shopping wise? If you shop smart you would need to upgrade so frequently. Their isn't that much that's new coming in audio that you need to upgrade. I know manufacturers and their powerful marketer's make us home theater enthusiast feel that we need to upgrade, but that's just blind consumerism when we buy into it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Desmond
Generally speaking it is very difficult to fill in a null. Notch filters are far more effective at taming peaks. Easy to drop the level, very hard to boost it.
That's definately true John, I guess I should have mentioned that I was also trying to also tame a slight peak just on the upper side of my slight null. I've often considered that I'm just being falsely convinced there is a null, in relation to the peak. I need to do a SPL test on a freqeuency sweep to come to definite conclusions, but I keep getting side tracked and enjoying the program material! :rolleyes:

Auditor55, we're on the same page there. I'm trying to treat the cause not the symptoms of my upgrade bug...there is just something in my system that is distracting me from total immersion. It's just too easy to assume that the latest chipset and decoding will fix it, but I'm learning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think you will find the better your equipment the lmore you will listen to music.

I'm also waying my options on a new processor. I listen to music more than HT and I've pretty much decided to stick with a 5.1 setup.

I would love to know how a Proceed PAV or Krell HTS compares to a dedicated 2 channel preamp.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.