AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone please recommend a great deal on discontinued or even used projectors? I had a Sharp LCD from 1998-2000 (about $3000?) that was more than adequate for me. I intend to use it very little -- mainly just for effect at parties and to watch the occasional DVD at night. I am hoping that the last generation projectors are getting cheap but still satisfying to watch. Perhaps an LCD Sony 4000? Any ideas for maximizing my performance/$$$ ratio would be greatly appreciated. I suppose I could also go with a CRT but it seems that the LCDs are much easier to deal with. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
LT85 is SVGA DLP with 800 lumens and 800:1 contrast ratio that's $1600 brand new. VPL-CX1 is XGA LCD with 550 lumens but only 200:1 contrast ratio for $1500 brand new. Proxima DS2 (SVGA DLP with 700 lumens and 400:1 contrast) can be had for $1300 new. Infocus LP425z is only $1300 new (SVGA DLP, 900 lumens).

Look in classifieds here and at projector people for used units. Beware that used units may have old bulbs which can be $300 to replace. Dead pixels may also be present which can be expensive to fix if they bother you (used may not have the same warranty). Beware of Ebay as ripoffs on PJ are common due to high-price, high-desire item. I personally would save up for a new one so I can get the 2-3 year warranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.