AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it. When editors tell a reporter to go write a story on HDTV they must say "Go write a story trashing HDTV. Oh, and don't bother making it factual, nobody cares about this stuff anyway."

Here's the latest HDTV-bashing newspaper article, titled Not Ready For Prime Time, courtesy of the San Diego Union-Tribune:

http://www.uniontrib.com/news/uniont...b3primeti.html

One of my favorite sections:

"However, few shows are aired in high definition.

According to TitanTV.com, a Web site that lists HDTV broadcasts, the HDTV pickings are slim in San Diego, usually limited to "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," "The Young and the Restless" and a few prime-time shows on ABC.

All the rest of the shows are transmitted in standard digital format, whose pictures are only slightly better than analog TV."

The HDTV "pickings" are far from slim in San Diego, with both the CBS and ABC affiliates transmitting a digital/HD signal for at least their second season. Our PBS affiliate, KPBS, has been multicasting both a SD digital signal as well as a 720P HD signal from a state-of-the-art facility since November, and they weren't even mentioned in the article! Every other major network broadcasts a digital signal: the NBC affiliate broadcasts a low-power digital signal; Fox and WB broadcast digital signals as well. In addition, almost anyone with a roof or attic mounted antenna can get all of the digital stations from LA. I'm able to get all seven.

Here's another paragraph that really made me laugh:

"KGTV spent $3 million for a transmitter and other equipment for the transition to HDTV. So far, it has counted 46 viewers, stretching from Mexico to Malibu, who watch the station's digital broadcast."

Obviously, they're not looking very hard. We've had several get-togethers of Home Theater enthusiasts in San Diego and we've had as many as two dozen people attend. I can't believe that this is half of the entire digital viewership of San Diego, Orange and LA counties.

The author's name and e-mail address is listed at the end of the article. Please e-mail her with your comments, corrections, and suggestions!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wrote to the "author" of the article in the paper, also..

I cant believe how people can write about HD.. without knowing a thing

about it.. I guess I could write an article about DODGE cars.. and say

they cost between 40 and 60,000 dollars each.. which would be true..

but if I left out the facts.... that you can also buy a DODGE for around

20,000 pretty easy too, that might persuade people not to look at

those cars...WAY too expensive!

The article was littered with half truths and misinformation.

I sure wouldn't want to buy a HDTV after reading that "story"

I wish they would at least ask users.. you know.. Find out some

real facts about HD before they write...

Gerald

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asa
I wrote to the "author" of the article in the paper, also..

I cant believe how people can write about HD.. without knowing a thing

about it.. I guess I could write an article about DODGE cars.. and say

they cost between 40 and 60,000 dollars each.. which would be true..

but if I left out the facts....
I looked outside, and didn't see a Dodge car, so obviously they don't

exist. I would say the whole Dodge car company is obviously a failure.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The media in general are totally uninformed about any issue, and generally downplay anything that doesn't suit their leftist tendencies. Any media coverage you see on anything that you know about, you will notice that they are always WAY off and will slant the story to suit their preferences, regardless of what the truth is or what actually happened. Free press indeed.

·
Registered
28,173 Posts
Whoa there, Dylan,

This is going to begin a bit off topic, but please save it with the "leftist tendencies" of the media. Hogwash! I am so tired of hearing that nonsense. As more and more newspapers and TV stations get gobbled up by fewer and fewer huge multi-national corporations (who most definately do not have the best interests of the general public at heart), the overall editorial leanings of these outlets is veering more and more to the right, NOT the left. How big is Rubert Murdock's empire now? And we all know what a big fan of HDTV he is! (there, back on topic...:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Guys, I hate to rain on everybody's pararde, especially since I LOVE HDTV and am an early adopter myself in a big way.

But HDTV is currently not going anywhere. It's difficult to get programming, people still have NO clue what it is, and it's not even close to being profitable. Looks pretty bleak.

There's no question that HDTV is better than SDTV or NTSC, from a quality standpoint. Unfortunately, most people just don't care, and it's really depressing. If you don't believe me, go over to the Apex forums and listen to people whine about disabling Macrovision so they can VHS tape their DVD's or watch them through composite connections. Or go to Best Buy or CC and listen to people whine about wanting to print out their photos, and claim that digital cameras are lame because they "don't really do anything". Or that people can't see any difference between Hi-8 and DV.

I know people who have bought HD-ready sets, and because of that, think they're watching HD when they watch DVD's.

·
Registered
380 Posts
archiguy: I'll give you a disinterested "whatever".. thats a topic for another board.

Darin: No doubt. I've tried to get my brothers-in-law to come over and watch Final Fantasy in HD, and their response was "we've seen it".. I go.. "but have you seen it in HD?" They go.. "we have the DVD."

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Archi,

There's more to Dylan's comment than you admit. Not so much in political leanings but in backgound of the writers. Most reporters are liberal arts graduates rather than engineers. Wouldn't you expect an english major to have a more liberal political leaning than someone with an accounting or engineering degree ? Reporters aren't paid very much and strongly identify with a populist view that high performance toys are frivolous and unnecessary.

The mis-reporting of home theater issues is an ongoing problem that needs to get solved if the general public is ever going to have a clue as to what they are missing.

The San Jose Mercury News had an article that recommented that the speaker price-performance curve flattened out about $50/speaker and that anyone spending over about $150 was an absolute fool.

A few months ago they had a full page comparison of cable vs satellite TV that failed to even mention HDTV and the fact that bay area cable services had not yet initiated HDTV coverage.

A San Francisco paper had an article on HDTV that was based on interviews mainly with an ATT executive. ATT will probably be tha last service to offer HD and the reporter made little attempt to find a more balanced view. He didn't even go see what sets were available in local mass merchants to see how much prices had come down and how many they were selling. The entire article was written from a perspective to justify the ATTs stance in not carrying HD programming since the market was obviously not ready yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
...HDTV is currently not going anywhere. It's difficult to get programming, people still have NO clue what it is, and it's not even close to being profitable. Looks pretty bleak.
To be "going somewhere" is not reflected by where you are, but by where you are in relation to where you were, keeping in mind where you'd like to be. And in that regard I'd say HDTV is moving in a positive direction, and has been for some time. Programming options are slowly but steadily increasing. The number of stations broadcasting digital and HD is slowly but steadily increasing. Prices for HD equipment are slowly but steadily decreasing. Keep in mind what an enormous task is being accomplished - an entire industry is being overhauled. Consumers are being asked to replace or supplement their existing hardware. Local broadcasters have to equip themselves to broadcast digitally. Content providers have to seek out or produce HD material. Which means lots and lots of money has to be spent. But it's happening, little by little. There are still huge obstacles to overcome, but things are better than they were a year ago, and I think they will be better than they are now a year hence.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The transition to digital and HD video would be an enormous technical undertaking all by itself. Unfortunately it has come when the world's economies are crashing and burning, tech companies worse than most. Also as the PC power has outstripped most users need for it the entire PC industry has jumped into areas greatly affecting digital rights as the solution. Unfortunately the congress and FCC have not done much to clarify the ground rules either.

With the economy in shambles and the aftermath of 911 coloring everyone's thought process in the government we can't expect much help from anyone in Washington. Mike Powell is doing more than any FCC chairman before him but getting the attention and funds from congress or the administration isn't likely to be a high priority with them.

It doesn't help that most folks are so thrilled by the jump from their NTSC broadcasts to a DVD image. That takes away from their desire to jump into true HDTV.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
But HDTV is currently not going anywhere.
Couldn't disagree more. NBC looks to be getting their act together, WB is jumping in the pool, HDNet is starting up multiple new channels, Discovery will be on board in a couple weeks, etc etc.

It not hit critical mass and definitely isn't mainstream, and there's plenty of misinformation flying around, but it's definitely getting there.

It might not be there yet, but it's going somewhere.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think it's impossible to not see the difference between HDTV and regular cable or satellite television. What I do when I have guests over is show them the difference between broadcast stations digitial feed and the broadcast stations satellite feed. They can't help but notice a great difference.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I sent the author an email. It is a bit long, but I thought I would put up a copy here. I might have a small error or two in my end, but nowhere near the huge errors in the article.

---------------

As an early adopter in a much more deprived market than San Diego, I feel that you have done your readers a HUGE disservice. I can already get about 350 hours of HD programming per week. HDNET shows 16 hours per day and is free. The remaining 8 hours are High Def pay per view movies. HBO and Showtime broadcast the majority of their movies in HD on their HD feeds. In addition, ABC shows about 20 hours per week here.

CBS has their ENTIRE prime time lineup in high def, plus some of their daytime shows. NBC has much of their sporting events available in High Def as well.

I have purchased 3 HDTV sets, never paying more than $3500 each after taxes and delivery. The smallest is 64", the largest is 120" and all three have their own HDTV receivers. For my satellite receivers, the most I paid was $400, the least $229 (pretax). I can record high definition with a card in my computer, just like TiVo does, except that I can already do it. I paid $375 for the card, which not only records HDTV, but also has a built in tuner for terrestrial (i.e. antenna) signals.

I am amazed that you put out the idea that for four years, some idiot can't display HDTV on his HDTV set, when he has never even had a tuner!?!? That is like saying your Ferarri won't go above 60 mph because you keep putting diesel in the tank. HDTV has been available for a long time in San Diego. You make it sound like a digital desert. And 46 viewers? Please! A San Francisco station made the same comment that there were only 400 viewers in all the bay area. There were more than that on a Yahoo SF Bay HDTV group. I find it hard to believe that a chat group would have 100% market penetration.

Do yourself a favor and go see HDTV on a really big screen. Don't go to Circuit City and look at it on their poorly calibrated sets with the picture out of convergence. I have yet to see one of their television sets calibrated properly. With my HDTV pumped up to 120", the picture quality looks better than the main theater here in Fresno. Not a shabby theater either, it is one of the most successful in the nation, Edwards' Fresno Stadium 21.

HDTV is already here. There is more programming than I can watch every day, and every season, there is more and more content available.

Sure, the sets are expensive, but I paid less for all three of my larger HDTV sets than I paid for my older, slightly smaller TV. That is a bigger, cheaper TV with a massively better picture.

I have seen people pay $1000 for a standard tube TV (not HD) in years past, and then not spend $50 on a antenna to get a crisp picture. It just baffles me. You run into a person who spends $5,500 for a high def set and then doesn't spend the last $600 to receive the high def signal for FOUR YEARS and you don't even scratch your head?!?! Truly amazing, and not in a good way.

Please, do a little more research before printing such an article. A great spot would be:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Thank you,

Mike Poindexter

Fresno, CA

·
Registered
101 Posts
In the article, she mentions that PVRs can't record HDTV but one company is developing one that can. Who is it? When is it coming out? I'm not ready for the HTPC step, yet...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
There will be an HDTV recorder for Dish network this fall.

Mike

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you want to beat up a reporter, find out the name of his/her editor, and complain to them. P&M to the perp won't cause much pain. If you can't find the name of the section editor, send it to the managing editor. The tack that "gee, I always had the impression the had high reporting standards, but this article has so many errors of fact (do you do fact checking?) that I now have my doubts. I am so very disappointed."

I've used this twice, and it seems to work.

Mike

·
Registered
28,173 Posts
Mike Poindexter,

Do you have confirmation of this? Our boy Don Landis seems to believe, based on his contacts in Echostar, that this much anticipated device won't make it's appearance this year...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
Mike Poindexter,

Do you have confirmation of this? Our boy Don Landis seems to believe, based on his contacts in Echostar, that this much anticipated device won't make it's appearance this year...
It came straight from the factory rep for dish. Of course, I can't say for certain that I trust his word, as I don't know the guy personally, nor do I have a long standing personal friendship with him.

I do know that hard drive prices for 160GB drives was at $209 on pricewatch, dropped to $189 and is now back up to $217 (all w/o shipping). If the prices on them don't fall, I don't see HD PVR becoming a reality for a while. Although we here on AVS would snatch them up, we don't offer the volume that can justify making them. For that volume, you need to hit a specific price point and I just don't see it happening yet.

I want HD PVR, but I would settle for the next generation to have a DCDI and a built in scaler, similar to the cinematrix modification. Have component out that can do YPbPr and RGB. At a bare minimum, make it an add on option, like an expansion card. Realize that you would need 2 HD tuners for sat and 2 for OTA to truly have dual recording capability. Also, doing a trick play (2 record, one play) of all HD feeds is a lot of data. The hard drive can handle it, but the box would need more CPU power and a lot more RAM. I just realized that they would need at least 6 times as much RAM, which adds to the cost.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.