AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read numerous threads about burn-in and people experience with it. I know what it is and what causes it. My question is if you are watching something or playing a game with a static image does that image start the effects of burn-in right away. Say I'm playing a game with a static logo or image. I only play that game for a few hours and either shut it off or power down the set. When I turn the set or the game back on is it like that image was never there or does any amount of time slowly start the effects of burn-in. Does this question make any sense???

I am dying to get a wide screen and have been waiting a few years until the prices were a bit more in my league. But the idea of spending $2500 and having to be leary of everything I do because of burn-in paranoia just doesn't sit well with me. Yes I know there is always LCD and DLP but for the size and picture quality I want I just can't constitute the price at this time. And just in reading here both of them seem to have their own batch of problems. My original plan was to get the CRT wide screen and wait 5-6 years and then jump into one of the newer technologies once they improved and price came down. My only other option is the 40" Sony tube. But I can say in all honestly that once it was here I doubt I would be 100% happy after building myslef up to wanting wide screen.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Burn-in is cumulative. Letting the set "rest" won't bring back the life in the phosphors that have been burned. As long as your screen gets various types of imagery you should be OK (as well as making sure the contrast isn't cranked up, etc).

Static images in the same place on the screen for a long period of time will cause those phosphors to age more (or less) than the average usage around them, and that's what causes the "burn in" over time.

Putting up a static white logo for 1000 hours, or watching it for 1 hour increments 1000 times should cause about the same amount of burn-in.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Mr. Rogo has a good thread about brun-in over in the plasma forum. Short and simple: properly set-up your rpcrt with Avia or DVE. That will correct the brightness, color, contrast and sharpness errors that come with the set when you get it. Most crt manuals will tell you to limit your viewing of things that can cause burn-in to 20% of your totaling viewing time. Also, when playing video games turn down the contrast and increase the brightness. When watching a 2:35 film or playing video games always *wash* that image with a full screen image. I.e. if you've played about three hours of video games leave the tv on a full screen program from three hours. That will have even out the wearing of the crts. As Rogo, says burn-in is a myth. :D You will not incur burn-in if you take care and follow the example and I and others have given. I have had a rptv widescreen since Nov of 2002 and have not seen one sign of burn-in. I play video games, watch dvds in the 2:35, 2:40 and 1:85 ar, hd programming that contains commercials and regular programming that fills the screen. It is all about how you watch your set. If you are gonna watch 4:3, play video games all day, watch nothing but 2:35 then your best bet is a LCD or DLP, but if you are going to mix it up you may just be able to handle or rpcrt. Your're missing out on hd and dvds that just envelop you into the program or movie and the hd sports programs such as the SB that you, your family and friends will surely enjoy. Now go and get one and enjoy it to the hilt.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that idea of "washing" the image and never really thought about it that way. I guess I never looked at burn-in as actual wear. And that wear would also be cause by normal viewing of other sources. In all honesty I can say I would not be watching 4:3 sources in anything but stretch mode. so side bar burn-in isn't even a factor. Just gaming and 2:35 movies are going to be the only risk. There is no specific channel that I keep on for long periods of time so I guess normal TV viewing will handle that "washing". HD programming isn't in the equation at this time even with OTA. I am too far out and according to that antenna site I would need a tower. And I'm not ready to put the money into getting HD for my dish with the limited amount of programming and added cost.

Thanks for the input though. It puts my mind at ease a little. I was really stressing because I wanted a wide screen but didn't want to spend that kind of money and have it ruined in a year. It was either spend the money and take the chance, or just deal with not having a big screen. Either proposition was not very appealing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.