AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've lurked long enough. Time for my first post.

Same old problem, basement theater. I can't float a ceiling due to mechanical reroute, and a mid room soffet. The soffet contains a load bearing beam. The house was built mid 70's and the beam is strait lumber. If I were to float a new ceiling I would probably want to change the beam to a microlam, while jacking up the rest of the house. (Read major problem)

Dropped ceiling does not meet the WAF. So, on to plan C. I am thinking of insulating, and putting on a double layer of 1/2, glued and screwed. RC is out due to bass concerns. So I'm trying to think of creative ways to increase the soundproofing without shelling out major dollars.

Any comments on this idea. Finding a vinyl or rubber mat material and cutting it into 1 1/2" strips. Stapling or gluing these to the joists prior to mounting the drywall. My reasoning is that the wouldn't have as much give as RC, and yet may provide additional isolation. My concerns are will this help if the screws are going through it anyway, will adding this kind of material be frowned upon by the local building inspector, and finally what kind of return on investment would there be?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.