AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this thing on Tuesday, and was sooooooohhhhh happy to see it on my doorstep when I got home from work today! I wasn't quite prepared for it so I had to run out and buy some materials to mount the sucker before I could get it going, but when I finally finished: Wow! Double Wow! My jaw is still on the floor! So here is my assessment of some of the inherent problems we have been hearing alot of about the Infocus LP340/Boxlight CD-455m.

Test System:

Windows 98 SE w/IE 5.5

ASUS P3B-F Mobo w/PIII 550 and 256 MB SDRAM

Radeon All-in-Wonder

Sound Blaster Live (Original Full Version)

Samsung SD-608 ATAPI DVD-ROM

Plextor 12/10/32S CDRW

Plextor 40x Max CD-ROM

Adaptec 2930U2W SCSI Controller

DVD Software: WinDVD (what else!)

1. I DON'T SEE RAINBOWS!!! Thank god! I was paranoid that I would see those dreaded rainbows when I got my Boxlight CD-455m, but I guess I am one of the lucky that aren't susceptible to them. I ran through all the fast action parts of Gladiator and watched all of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. No rainbows in site. So the rainbow issue isn't an issue with me.

2. The light border leakage on the projected image. Arrrgghh. Now that is a bit of a pain. It looks as if the actual image is overlayed with another muddy light beam and that beam is washing out some of the color of the footage and spilling over to the sides. Yuck. I'll have to make some sort of cap mask.

3. The black levels. Welp, at first I noticed it was a bit washed out, but after watching all of CTHD, my eyes got used to it. It's not that big of a deal.

4. The colors!!!!! Crouching Tiger is just about the most vibrant movie available. My projector handled it with film-like ease.

5. Whisper quiet? No. This thing is mildly loud. If any of you have a PS2, I would say that it is about twice as loud as the PS2.

6. Yowza! This thing runs hot. But I got a cool idea from another forum member (plasmadis) to keep the sucker cool by running a lead wire from my PC to a couple of 9cm fans placed in the back of the projector. Only I am going to expand on that idea and make a sort of funnel that attaches to the back of the projector, with the fans blowing up. That should 1) keep the unit extra cool during use, 2) allow the bulb to be cooled after the unit is shut off, and 3) get rid of some of the light spillage out of the back of the unit. Three birds with one stone http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

All in all, it is a keeper. Money well spent. This has got to be the coolest gadget anyone can own. I never thought I would be able to afford one of these things, so it is truly a treat for me. The only problem that pissed me off was that I couldn't get my unit to work with the DVI cable. I could see the DOS boot up screen, and the initial Windows 98 splash screen, but once it got to about where the logon screen is, the Boxlight couldn't pick up the image anymore http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif . Bummer. I'll have to look into it tomorrow. But to anyone else out there that is on the verge, I just say go for it. You won't be dissapointed. Unless of course, you see the rainbows.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
I am glad you are happy-I have a dual geforce and had the same problem using the DVI until I played with the advanced video card settings. It helped me to hook up a regular monitor to the VGA out and then hook the projector to the DVI out and then start trying the different output options. You should see a clearer less noisy picture once you get your DVI hooked up. Please lets us know how you make out

Lenny

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.