AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - i have been reading and lurking and trying to gather up as much information as I can get before building a Media/HTPC. The main purpose of the machine will be to play DVD/BD/HD-DVD rips stored on my WHS machine. I have been ripping and re-encoding for my XBOX 360 for a couple of years now, but I'm tired of tying up my machine for days at a time doing encoding. I would like to just rip to an .iso and playback. I would like to be able to handle 1080p content with HD Audio. My current AVR doesn't support HDMI so I would like to run the audio into the 7.1 analog inputs. I have some spare hardware left over from different PC's I have built that I would like to use if it fits the bill.

I have:

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i 122-CK-NF68
CPU: Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz
Memory: 4GB Patriot 4x1GB PDC22G6400LLK
Sound Card: Auzentech HDA X-Mystique 7.1
Hard Drive:Western Digital 250GB WD2500AAKS

Was thinking of buying:

(cant post links as this is my first post but I found this hardware on newegg)

Case: SILVERSTONE LC10-BM Looked nice and comes with remote and a the needed ATX power power adapter to do remote power up.

DVD/BR Drive: Sony BR-5100S Cheap and black.

Power Supply:CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX

Video Card:EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB

CPU Cooler: Any Ideas?

Do you think the older Auzentech card would be ok for analog? Should I just use the on board sound? or get a different card. I'm assuming that the conversion of the HD audio happens on the PC so I can get real 7.1 out? Is this correct?

So I was thinking of using Vista x64 Home Premium and Arcsoft TMT along with MPC-HC. I already use AnyDVD-HD so I would continue to use it.

Please let me know what suggestions and wisdom you guys and gals have.

Thank You.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the forums,

Not sure how comfortable you are with beta software but windows 7 has just been released and apparently it supports ripped bluray files(m2ts). I don't think that it supports the hd audio formats however it is streaming to xbox extenders, with the movie library interface built in you could give it a go without spending any money. If you do a windows 7 search you could find more info.

Your hardware seems fine, i have used silverstone lc17 cases for several builds and love the cases. My current movie library consists of wmv-hd files and i understand the conversion process can get tiring, I'm currently waiting for some additional hardware to give windows 7 a go myself to see if it can save me some time.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowinnothin /forum/post/15577215

Welcome to the forums,

Not sure how comfortable you are with beta software but windows 7 has just been released and apparently it supports ripped bluray files(m2ts). I don't think that it supports the hd audio formats however it is streaming to xbox extenders, with the movie library interface built in you could give it a go without spending any money. If you do a windows 7 search you could find more info.

Your hardware seems fine, i have used silverstone lc17 cases for several builds and love the cases. My current movie library consists of wmv-hd files and i understand the conversion process can get tiring, I'm currently waiting for some additional hardware to give windows 7 a go myself to see if it can save me some time.

Good luck

Thanks for the heads up. I just downloaded the WIN 7 beta and will give it a shot and see if I can stream anything new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts