AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get the EZ EQ all dialed in. Doesn't seem too diffiucult and I understand for searching posts that it's best to run the EZ auto mode, then change your settings in the manual mode and re-run the manual EQ.

My question is.....when running the test tones that signal it sends to my sub is downright scary. It sounds like it's send way too much to it. I have an SVS PB12 plus2 and when I first ran it I had the volume on the sub set a bit less than half (this was from my previous calibration with SPL meter)

When I first ran the Auto EQ I thought I might have damaged the SVS with the signal it sent out. So, I turned it WAY down. It's only slightly above the quarter mark. Is that normal? I mean why so much of a difference? When I check the setting on the HK it has the sub crossed over at 120 and a -8 on the scale.

I also have it set to a 15" sub.

It just seems weird....is this a normal setting? Any HK guys help with this?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have a PB12-isd and mine is set to about 3/8 dial position and the HK is set to 12", and is 0 on the scale. No scary tones from the sub, though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scary soudning tone is when the Auto EQ runs. When it sends the signal to the sub it's pretty darn loud but the volume on the sub is only at the quarter mark.

Maybe the signal is accurate but when I had my Denon I calibrated from Sound and Vision and it had my subs volume up to a bit less than half and the about -4 or 5 on the Denon's sub scale.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
When running the HK435/635 Room EQ, the levels should be set @0dB (channel trims) and subwoofer @ about 50% rotation. Also depends upon where you have the X-over point on the subwoofer set, best way is to use the LFE in and switch out any x-over network found on the subwoofer itself. Also the HK435/645 master volume should be set @ -28dB..

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have an SVS PB12-ISD, and while the sub signal during EQ is pretty intense, it's just doing what it has to do to get it calibrated and EQ'd. It's not damaging the sub.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeffery ...that sounds about right. After all this is the PB12 plus2.......it has 2 12" drivers with a 1,000 watt amp. I guess when the signal is sent I've never heard how much it can really do in my living room. Down right scary.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenS
jeffery ...that sounds about right. After all this is the PB12 plus2.......it has 2 12" drivers with a 1,000 watt amp. I guess when the signal is sent I've never heard how much it can really do in my living room. Down right scary.

My suggestion is that you may want to try the 12" subwoofer setting on the HK OSD menu page. Since the Room EQ is attempting to optimize the entire low frequency bandwidth (bottom & top) as well as setting the proper transition between the subwoofer and satellites for a smoother, full frequency response....

Compare the 2 different setups to see which one is preferred..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok..I'll try that. I currently have it set up as a 15" sub on the HK due to it having 2 12" drivers.

Maybe setting it to 12" would make more sense even though it has two drivers.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Ok..I'll try that. I currently have it set up as a 15" sub on the HK due to it having 2 12" drivers.

Maybe setting it to 12" would make more sense even though it has two drivers.

Kool...

Try it and post back..

Also we have found that moving the subwoofer's physical position in the room can help alot.. Bottom line is that each listening room will vary widely especially for low frequencies for peaks/resonances so trial and error is a very useful task..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went home for lunch and re-ran the manual EQ and changed the sub to 12". I think it sounded better with the 15" setting so I may go back to that. Either way it still has it set a -9 on the HK for the sub. Guess that's correct...I've just never had it that low with the Denon.

So from my understanding (reading up on posts) the Auto EZ-EQ just doesn't work? Why did they even put that feature on the 435/635 if it doesn't even work? I have not read any post that someone actually said it set their speakers correctly. Mainly the crossover points. When I ran it to begin with it set my mains to large with the 40hz crossover just like most. What's the deal with the "Auto EQ" then? Why promote an "advanced" feature that doesn't even work?

·
Registered
280 Posts
EZset works fine for me....do the auto EQ where it will make all the large and small changes to speaker settings. Then go in and change the speaker sizes and crossovers. Rerun EZset in manual mode. Go back to the manual adjustments, turn on the various EZset settings and you're fine. I find the sound to be much better with EZset on than without it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There are two parts: ezSet (set speaker sizes and crossover) and ezSet EQ (equalize the sound output to correct for room effects). I think its usually people saying to override ezset's selections for speaker size and crossover with manual ones to optimize the setup. Ezset-EQ generally does work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, what I'm talking about is the Auto EZ EQ feature. As you read the manual it clearly states how this is such a great feature. All you do is run it and it sets all your speakers for you. Crossover, Distances, and adds the EQ to everything as well. It says you do not have to do anything else.

Then it gets into the manual settings. It even states that the Auto mode is all you need but if you feel the need to do thing manually you can.

I have found that pretty much everyone runs the Auto EQ first, then they go in and correct the settings in manual mode (because the Auto thing sets your mains to large etc) . Once you've done that you re-EQ it while in the manual mode and your done.

I'm just confused as to why the AUTO feature sets most peoples speakers incorrectly in the first place?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's a theory about why EzSet often picks "large" when people prefer "small":

EzSet is trying to figure out what kind of speakers you have just by testing the sound, without "knowing" anything about them. So it's making a guess, based on actual response. However, there are "small" speakers with good bass response and "large" speakers with bad bass response.

If you're designing AutoSet, you have a choice of annoying some people with small speakers by telling them that AutoSet thinks they're large, or annoying some people with large speakers by telling them that AutoSet thinks they're small.

If I were trying to reduce the number of people calling me up and complaining, I might err on the side of picking "large" over "small". My Ascend 340s have pretty good low frequency response, even though Ascend recommends running them as "small" (if you have a subwoofer, of course).

Here's a theory about the scary calibration sound:

I thought when I calibrated my sub (Hsu VTF-3 Mk II) that the calibration tone was pretty loud, even though I had the sub set way down (more like 1/8 on the dial, not just 1/4). The HK adjustement for sub volume only will go down 10 DB max, so I cranked down the sub's volume until the HK auto-calibration was in the range.

But when I was watching "Return of the King" last night (in the battle scene where the elephants are stomping all around), and boy, that was scary. Certainly shook up the whole house. :D The sub was producing a lot more low frequency than the EzSet sub calibration tone had.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I think there are likely *many* more people lthough perhaps less so on this forum) with smaller satellite speakers that are lucky to make it down to 80 Hz than those with full size/range speakers.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I should turn the sub way way down and re-run the EQ?
If you turn the volume down on your sub, you should notice a corresponding increase in the ezSet level, to the point where it reaches 0dB once you've got the sub's volume dialed in. It's not necessary to achieve a 0dB setting in the processor, but it can be done. I do believe that a general rule of thumb is that you should adjust a sub's volume level in order to avoid a sub level setting in a processor of greater than +5dB. I don't know if the same rule applies to negative trim, but I suppose too low of a level from the processor may not activate some sub's auto-on circuitry as quickly as the user might like.

Your sub probably sounded scary because you had the sub volume set too high at first. ezSet will send out an initial test tone at a fixed and fairly high level, not 'knowing' where the sub's volume is set. That tone's level is then reduced as negative trim is applied in the processor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.