AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning wiring for a new house and want the ability to distribute hd video over component and whole house audio. I am uncertain of actual equipment and want to wire for the future. I know this question is asked all the time but am seeking opinions on the following and wondering if anything has changed in 2008.

Video

I am strongly considering avatrix. I was thinking of pulling 4 cat5 cables to each tv location. 2 would be for avatrix and 2 for the future. Am I insane not to pull minicoax or coax to each tv location also? If I should run coax, why and how much? I am trying to get conduit anywhere I can but some locations will be less accessible.

Audio

My plan is to run speaker wire to local volume control and then homerun to closet. I will also have cat5 to each volume control. Is there a compelling reason to have ac power prewired to volume control location? For surround sound locations, should I 1) run speaker wire to central closet only 2) run speaker wire locally or 3) run speaker wire both locally and to central closet and preserve flexibility.

I have learned much from reading this forum over the last years but still have much to learn and appreciate any suggestions/advice.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs2n /forum/post/12916507

...Am I insane not to pull minicoax or coax to each tv location also? If I should run coax, why and how much? I am trying to get conduit anywhere I can but some locations will be less accessible...

_I'd_ pull two coax (at least one) to each location as well, in case, for whatever reason, you give up on the distribution idea, and that way you can plug a dual-tuner satellite box (or a cable box) in at each location.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make sure its Cat5e or Cat6. And 4 pulls sounds like a lot. 2 Cat5e's can do HDMI via Baluns and 1 can do component with dig audio.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

Some coax may be a good idea.

Any ideas on my audio questions?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Running CAT5's locks you into only using a CAT5 balun solution. Not necessarily a bad thing, but thats the path you will be stuck with. I'd at least pull coax to each location so you (or your spouse) can have local CATV or satellite until you get everything all figured out. You can pull RGBHV snakes as well, plus coax, plus CAT5's, and you're well covered. But it adds costs. HDMI over coax solutions are about to be released as well.

For a DIYer, CAT5 is probably the best since the tooling and expertise to install CAT5 ends is much easier than tooling and RCA's for coaxial audio cable. If it was my house I'd put in RGBHV snake, but that's because I have the tools and experience with coax.

As for audio, running speakers to a local volume control then on to a head end is very wise. Add CAT5 (or two) at the keypad location and you're wired for many situations.

As for surround sound systems integrated with distributed audio, the 'dumber' solution is usually the best. Use AS2/S speaker relays to switch between surround sound and distributed audio. Have the distributed audio system trigger it so it will play on two speakers of your surround sound system. This is the simplest way to do it, easy to understand for other users. To do it any other way requires advanced programming and UI skills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts