AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I just picked up a Samsung LED Series 6 6000 46" LCD and a Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray player. I have an elderly 5.1 in-a-box HT combo - a Pioneer DVD/CD receiver combo (XV-HTD520 specifically). Is it feasible to just replace the combo with a new receiver to drive my existing speakers? I was looking at the Yamaha 465 or the Denon 1610 just from my initial browsing.

There won't be much hooked up to this system as of now except a Wii and the Blu-ray player. Suggestions? Help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu /forum/post/18142894

I would have a look at Onkyo 607 or if you don't like onkyo then go for the Denon 1610 I would not buy yamaha at all I have had problems in the past.

The Onkyo 607 looks to be a 7.1 system. Is there a reason for this receiver over the 507 which is 5.1?

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I would just go with the 507 if you only have 5.1, and you don't need those two HDMI input also a bit more wattage that you would not hear anyway. and that you don't care about video processing. What do you think you should buy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any issue with having a 7.1 receiver but only running 5.1 on it? I am looking at:

Pioneer 1019

Denon 1610

Onkyo 607

The Pioneer ooks very nice - has everything I need and is Energy Star as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And a couple more questions... It appears the subwoofer is a RCA jack preamp on all these receivers. My sub is speaker wire style like all my other mains and not powered. SO it looks like the RCA jack style is for powered subs - is this compatible? So essentially my system is shaping up to something like this:

Samsung Series 6 LED

BP-P1600 Blu-ray Player

Wii

Future cable or sat box

Possible computer MC. They are in the same room, I haven't even checked into how I would handshake them.

Is upconverting to 1080p critical here? The only thing being upconverted would be a gaming system, but the idea of 1 HDMI wire to the TV is appealing.

I am doing as much reading as I can on this, but it is pretty overwhelming.

·
Registered
29,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerMike /forum/post/18145680

Is there any issue with having a 7.1 receiver but only running 5.1 on it? I am looking at:

Pioneer 1019

Denon 1610

Onkyo 607

The Pioneer ooks very nice - has everything I need and is Energy Star as well.

No problem at all, all my receivers are 7.1 but I only run a 5.1 setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.