AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am looking at getting started on my HT in the next few months. I am pretty clear on my display (LCD FP), but am just now starting to delve into the audio side of things. Primarily, the HT will be for watching DVD's and HDTV, as well as plenty of Xbox and PC gaming.

I am the furthest thing from an audiophile there is, so my HTIB RCA that I have upstairs sounds half decent to me.

That being said, I am looking for a speaker setup that I will be happy with in a year or two without spending a huge amount of cash. I am looking at receivers in the 300-400 USD range, and have zeroed in on the Kenwood VR-7070 and the Onkyo SR600/601.

Any and all suggestions for a starting point would be appreciated. I have done my searching on the forums and have gone to demo a few systems, but to be honest, my ear is so untrained that I can tell little difference between most.

I would love to get a 5.1 speaker setup for well under $1000 USD, and considering my lack of ear for this, I figure it will be fairly easy. However, I do realize that down the road I will be itching for an upgrade as I hone my senses, so I want to get as much bang for my buck as I can.

Any and all opinions are appreciated, and I really would rather get an entire system in place rather than buying $1000 mains and add from there over time. I know a lot of you will advise me to buy the best I can afford and worry about the rest as I can afford it, but I will never have $3000 worth of speakers in the house, so I am very focused on a 5.1 solution for a reasonable price.

I have read about the $899.00 Rocket by Onix package and also Athena's from BB, any other ideas would be great. Thanks in advance for yet another question that sounds the same as all the rest ...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Others you might wish to consider include the Axioms and Ascends. All three brands enjoy reputaions as providing excellent quality at value prices. The Ascends and Axioms will cost a tad over $1000. The Rockets are noted to be the most laid back of the three, the Ascends the most neutral, and the Axioms more to the bright side. You need to determine which type sound you prefer before pulling the trigger.

Axiom link

Ascend link

If you define your audio preferences, you could end up with a set of speakers that will provide listening enjoyment for many more than a couple of years. Remember that each of these companies offers an in-home trial period, so you only risk being out of pocket the shipping costs.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcard74
I have read about the $899.00 Rocket by Onix package and also Athena's from BB, any other ideas would be great. Thanks in advance for yet another question that sounds the same as all the rest ...
Bingo, Rocket ELT 5.1 speakers + Denon 1804, both for $1250.

http://forum.**********/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1097

Easy, you are done, order it up and sit back and relax. great price and great customer service for some great products. Speakers under $1k and AVR for 300-400 range.

enjoy....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.