AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

So I am looking to buy my first set of real speakers. I have an Onkyo HT-RC160 at home and I've been running it for the past 9 months or so with some junk stereo speakers that sound horrible. During most movies, I have to turn up the volume so that I can hear the voices, but the rest of the sound is overpowering.

I'd like to get a set of bookshelf speakers for the front left and right, and possibly a center channel. I'll get a sub after all my Christmas spending is done. (looking at the BIC F-12 at the moment, but maybe something more musical?)

Speakers will be used for probably 70% movies, 15-20% Xbox, and 10-15% musical (nearly all genres are fair game - jazz, classical, rock, pop, punk, ska, blues... I am rather eclectic in my listening.)

Newegg has the polk monitor 40s for $120/pair and the CS2 center for $100.

I went to Best Buy to try hearing the polk sound and the only speakers the geek squad guy wanted to play for me were a pair of Definitive tech bookshelfs. I have to admit, to my untrained ears, they sounded good watching Transformers even without a center channel, which I thought would be necessary.

So my question is this:

Seeing as how this will by my first set of decent speakers and I'll have nothing to reference the sound by, would I be happier with the 3 Polk speakers or should I find something else? I'd be willing to spend probably $500 on either a set of front 3 (or front 2 if I don't really need a center channel?). I know there are a million low budget threads on here, but I haven't seen any that posted this particular question.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

-John

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have listend to both the Def Techs and the Polks. The Def Techs I listened to seemed to get a little flustered at high volumes. I think they were SM350s?? The Polks seemed cleaner. For the money, I would get three (3) Monitor 50s for the front if the middle one wil fit. Just raise the TV a little if you have to. The center is not that necessary but, it adds to the experience. You will need a sub for the movies.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the CS2 is one large speaker enclosure - make sure you have room for it. But the Monitor 40's and a CS2 will certainly clear up your dialog problem. You can use just 2 speakers and create a phantom center by typical stereo imaging, but the "sweetspot" for the listener is fixed and can be fairly small.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leaving work now so I'm going to pop this up to the top. I'll check for any other advice when I get home before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the comments so far guys!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the Infinity Primus lineup is an excellent buy, maybe a tad better than the Polk Monitor, maybe not. So much depends on the listener, because everyone will hear a set of speakers differently.

No really "wrong" choice here, Primus or Monitors will give you excellent service for the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.