AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrade time and I have been out of the loop for long enough now that I feel weeks could be spent with only a fraction of the tech learned. So I will humble myself and just ask for help.

Current components:

TV: older 1080p 46" Samsung (this will be getting upgraded shortly as well to something in the 3k range).

Speakers: DefTech BP7002s, CLR3000, and BPXs.

HTPC: Mac Mini

OTA HD Antenna

I will spend as much as I really need to, but with such a limited system (component-wise) I am guessing it is diminishing returns at some point (I just don't know what that point is!).

Sorry if I left any obvious info out. And thanks for the help!

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSplitter  /t/1419640/yet-another-pick-my-receiver-thread-please#post_22206221

So I will humble myself and just ask for help.

Sorry, unless willing to commit ten current receiver manuals to heart and finish hand sweeping out the floor of Amazon's Patterson, CA, distribution center warehouse by the end of lunchtime, no dice.

Need more data. Based on your original comments, pretty much anything will do.

How big is your budget and what floats your boat?

(I'm a Marantz/Denon kind-of-guy.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I would assume that for my speakers, which are in my opinion the star of my setup, I would want an AVR that highlights them, no?! So does that mean 135W/channel, 150, 110? And, because I know next to nothing about decoders/processors/other technology that dictates quality of receivers, I don't KNOW what questions to ask or info to include- I don't know what I don't know! As far as budget, like I said I don't necessarily have one, except that I know I will not NEED anything too expensive because of my limited setup components...right...?

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Well, I would assume that for my speakers, which are in my opinion the star of my setup, I would want an AVR that highlights them, no?!

Then pretty much anything mid-grade or better will meet your needs.

Quote:
So does that mean 135W/channel, 150, 110?

To paraphrase "The Limbo" song, how loud do you want to go? Again, any mid-grade receiver will get you there. Being a Denon/Marantz kind of person, my personal minimum is the Marantz SR5007 or the Denon AVR 2313CI.

Quote:
And, because I know next to nothing about decoders/processors/other technology that dictates quality of receivers, I don't KNOW what questions to ask or info to include- I don't know what I don't know!

I have in my pocket a digital/analogue converter (DAC) to die for and for half a king's ransom, I'll be happy to sell you a time share.
Rest assured, at the mid-grade level, the technology is mature and it's all good.

Quote:
...except that I know I will not NEED anything too expensive because of my limited setup components...right...?

Expensive is relative to the depths of one's pocket. The Donald vs Joe Nobody flipping burgers as a profession. I'm a budget minded shopper but try to get half-way decent gear when I buy. Why? Because I can't afford decent gear.

I find units like the Denon 2313CI and the Marantz SR5007 (or other manufactures equivalents) hit the quality chart squarely in the middle of price, quality, features and affordability.

-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts