Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of entering the CRT world and although I am fairly certain I will make the purchase I would still really appriciate some opinions.

The PJ is a Barcographics 1209/2 that has supposedly been previously married to a large company. According to the dealer, the unit has approx. 8000 hours on the tubes, except for the green tube which is brand new. No visible wear or burn on the tubes. Asking price $5000. I have not seen this unit as it hasn't yet arrived to the dealer, obviously I will do an extensive check-up on it before purchase. However I have seen another unit (same model) with some visible 4:3 wear and approx 13000 hours on the tubes, producing a picture that completely blew me away.

Is this a bad/fair/good/awesome deal or am I better off spending my money on a low-hour 8-incher such as an 808/808s? Or is the 9" really *that* much better? I must say, that it would be somewhat of a relief to get a 9-incher just for the hell of it, that way I could never consider upgrading/worrying about the fact that the PQ could actually be even better. Also, 9" CRT projectors don't come around here too often, so if I pass up on this deal I might not get another chance.

Please let me know if anyone have any objections why this couple should not join together in holy matromony...please speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Martin,

CRT projectors are capable of producing stunning imagery, but they take a fair bit of time to learn and perform the initial adjustments to make them that way. I'm talking about days, or perhaps I should say "Weekends," since I don't have time during the week.

Equally important is the video signal you are sending to the projector. Standard television broadcasts, VHS, the older laser disc players, and interlaced DVD players will produce scan lines which are quite visible. The image you recently experienced on someone elses CRT projector may have been from a High Definition source, or from a progressive scan DVD player, or perhaps an HTPC. I mention this only because I would hate to see you shell out $5,000 and expect to have filmlike imagery from PAL broadcasts, or other lower resolution video sources.

You'll find the 8" pj to be absolutely stunning. I own an NEC XG-85 which produces remarkable images through the HTPC. Be prepared to spend the time setting it p properly, or paying someone reputable to set it up for you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
$5000 seems like a good deal for such a good 9",even with bad tubes as they can be rebuilt by VDC.

For only watching PAL DVD, any 7" or 8" CRT projector with a HTPC is good enough as the source resolution is only 720x576.

But for HD, only a 9" can clearly display all the pixels (1920x1080).

I know you don't have HDTV in Europe yet, but with the Dtheater standard being adopted now, you should be able to get good HD content very soon.

I only watch HD now on my 9"CRT as it is so much better (colors, resolution, smoothness of pans etc..) than PAL/NTSC DVD.

With HD you can sit much closer to the screen and it still looks very good.This replicates the experience of sitting near a big screen in a movie theater.

Rob

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again,

Naturally I will also build an HTPC, no matter if I get the 1209 or another CRT PJ. I am pretty handy around computers so that should not be a problem. As for calibrating, I might get someone to do it for me if I find the task to be too great, but I have looked through the manual and it looks somewhat logical to me, not exactly rocket science.

It is true we don't have HDTV yet (I personally don't even have DTV) but it would be nice to be future proof, and there is also the Xbox. Is it only about resolution, isn't the colors/light output etc better with 9" CRT's? I have also been told that 9" tubes last longer due to their thicker phosphor layer.

If I understand you correctly a 9" won't be a dramatic improvement compared to 8" when only watching DVD, but is this price good enough to go with it anyway?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.