AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am investigating the possibility of installing a projector in a room adjacent to my home theater, and projecting through a glass covered hole near the ceiling (just like a commercial theatre). This would be for noise control and asthetics, all AV equipment would be hidden. In my case, the throw distance will be 20'. The problem I'm running up against is that projected image is too large. It appears that even the projectors with a zoom feature assume that the projector will be located closer to the screen than the viewer. For example:

VT150 at 20' has a image height of about 9'. Taking the 3x height to seating rule of thumb this puts the seats at 27' from the screen (behind the wall).

VT155 can zoom the image down to 6.8', still too big.

VT540 can go a little smaller, 6.4' This is close, but requires the seats be right up against the rear wall.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

-Charles

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't think you're missing anything. I thought about doing the same thing but then discovered that it would be impossible when I looked at the required throw distance for the projectors that I was interested in (LT150 / LT85).

If you don't mind wasting resolution, you could possibly try getting an XGA projector mated with a 2.35 screen. You would then need a scaler or HTPC to frame 16:9, 4:3, etc. within this screen. In fact, this would offer even more in the "movie theater" experience as you'd have constant height with curtains to mask the sides. I haven't checked the numbers for the LT150 to see if this would be doable, though it intrigues me. I ended up going with an LT85, so I don't think I would do it. As it is, I'll be getting less than 480 lines on anamorphic DVDs.

Scott

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you go with a projector with long-throw optics you should be

able to accomplish your aims. For example, the Seleco Ht 200, 200DM, and 250 all fall in the general range of 2.3 to 3.2 times the screen width. So for a screen size of 54x96, the range would be 18-25ft; for a screen that's 49x87, the range would be about 17-23ft; for an image size of 45x80, you'd place the projector somewhere between 15 and 21ft. The HT200 costs a little more than an LT-150, but it would give you better reds and blacks and would satisfy your throw distance needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.