Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm back again with another network issue:)

Anyway, I have a D-Link DL-707 7 cable/dsl router with 7 port switch and 5 computers connected to it using D-Link 10/100 Mb PCI Ethernet NIC Adapters, and I am having speed problems and issues under Win XP Pro. If I transfer files from computer 1 to computer 2, the network seems to be fine, but if I try to initiate a second transfer from computer 3 to computer 4, then the network gets bogged down very badly, and sometimes both transfers will bomb out. Since the DL-707 is a switch and not a hub, I was under the impression that I should be able to maintain full bandwidth on each port, right? Also, if I try to watch a ripped DVD movie over the network, I get audio dropouts, and sometimes stuttering, even if nothing else is happening on the network at the time. If I watch the same movie from a local drive, all is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas why my network is so slow?

Are there any freeware utilities to measure transfer speed and/or diagnose network problems?

My intentions are to eventually build a terabyte media server, but unless I can straighten out my network issues, there will be no point to doing this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Microsoft knows this is a problem with some of their operating system.

go to www.microsoft.com\\support and look for article #Q169789 and Q321098.

Most of the problem is with the protocol TCP/IP. Try loading NetBEUI as the default protocol (leaving TCP/IP) and see if that solves the problem.

Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Try forcing the NICs to 100Mb full-duplex, default should be auto-negotiate and is sometimes source of problems.

Also do the same thing on the switch side for each port connecting to a PC.

·
Registered
408 Posts
my guess would be either a bad nic card constantly reentering the network sending broadcasts or just a bad switch. Also it is not completely true that with a switch you get the full bandwidth. A switch just simply means that each port has its own collision domain. I would start removing one device at a time and testing. I would also set every port to 100 and every nic to 100 just in-case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.