AVS Forum banner

Yet Another Request For Antenna Recommendation (TVFool included)

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  espbeetle 

Quote:
Originally Posted by espbeetle /forum/post/16858545

OK Antenna Experts, thanks in advance for your help! Here's the TVFool: Attachment 148245 We have a ranch style house in central NJ with a few tall trees around the house, but no large buildings. If at all possible I would prefer the antenna not be too big and mount it in the attic. Is that going to be possible? I've got only one TV, a new Panasonic plasma with built in tuner, though a second TV may be added later. Will I need an amp? Fire away...

u've got a large number of stations at 30 miles or so distance...youre very lucky....

so get a small rooftop type antenna locally (that u can return if necessary, ideally)....put it in your attic and experiment with what direction gives u the max number of channels.....and dont use any amps, they would probably overload in your situation... youre too close to a lot of signal sources, including fm stations and who knows what else....

attic antenna installs are great when they work, which they often do at distances like yours... i've had very good luck with them.....they are zero maintenance, the antenna will never wear out or become storm or weather damaged, no lightning issues, u dont have to risk personal safety or aesthestics being on the roof, etc etc...

run the coax to the attic first and assuming u have one, start by experimenting with a 'rabbit ear' type antenna in the attic before u buy anything new....just to see what u can get that way....u might be surprised with some good results...and as always, u should try to keep any antenna away from any metal such as electrical conduits, etc that might be nearby....whether in the attic or outside...

let us know how it works out...good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by espbeetle /forum/post/16875179

So I threw an old set of Radio Shack rabbit ears in the attic ........I would like to buy an antenna now to start experimenting in the attic first. Where can I buy an antenna locally (Central Jersey)? I would like to be able to return it if I am not getting results. .......Anyone have any other recommendations? I am giving up on Low VHF completely and sticking to High VHF/UHF. Thanks again for the help!

i have no idea on local sources for u....but heres 2 alternatives....youre close enough to the stations that either of these will probably work well for u in the attic on hi vhf and uhf .....neither one will be good on lo vhf but in most cases for most people thats ok >

make your own simple 4 bay antenna for next to nothing....i made this one with coat hanger wire and it works well in my attic....its a simpler/ez'er to build version of the MCLAPP antenna that IDRick uses....all the specs are shown here....all u have to add is a $1 matching transformer at the center feed point >

home made Hoverman Antenna

or

try the Winegard HD-1080 ...right now its $32 with free shipping at buy.com...this one is fairly small too.....perfect for an attic >

Winegard HD-1080 VHF/UHF/FM Antenna
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208503801

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.