AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Sat C kit today (nice job, DirecTV - 2 days and it arrived). Hooked it up to my dish (I have two 18" round dishes, 1 pointed to 101, 1 pointed to 119, and the new 24" dish pointed, I hope, to 110). The setup menu was used to set the Zenith for Oval Dish, 3 satellites.

I get good signal strength on all 3 transducers on 110. Also on 119 and 101 (Or should I say, Sat A, Sat B, and Sat C on the receiver). Yet I can't receive Showtime HD on 543, or the test channel on 90. Additionally, neither one of those channels shows up in my program guide.

The DirecTV CSR (no rocket scientist, mind you), set all sorts of settings on his end, and at one point had me turn off the box and reboot it. It reaquired the channel guide, which then had 543 listed in it, and the header on the top of 543 stated that it was Showtime HD, but a message at the bottom said "No signal"

Now when I look at 543, I just get no signal, and the guide data on top doesn't show anything except the number 543. Also, when I use the STB to autodetect the dish, it now shows Oval Dish, satellites A and B (NO C).

HDNet, HBOHD, NASA, and normal 101 satellite channels come in great.

Questions:

1.) Could I be pointing at 119 instead of 110 and show good signal strength in the menu on Sat C on transducers 8,10,12?

2.) Could I have mixed up the 14V and 18V lead in wires from the Sat C combiner to the multiswitch? Is there a risk to me just swapping them at the multiswitch?

3.) Is this just DirecTV"S Ineptness? Is there something they need to do on their end.

Any other possible problems? Suggestions? Also, when I use the STB to autodetect the dish, it now shows Oval Dish, satellites A and B (NO C).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, now 543 and 90 show up in the program guide, and in the banner at the top, but still the message "No signal" at the bottom of the screen. Auto-detect still only shows Satellites A & B.

Any suggestions. Does DirecTV need to activate ShowHD separately?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shameless bump.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm guessing you have issues with the dish thats pointed at 110.

You're around Tampa right? Assuming so, your dish pointed at 119 should be set to 238 and 38 AZ/EL or so which I trust it is if you're getting HBO HD and HDNet ok.

Your dish pointed at 110 should be set to about 228 and 46, AZ/EL. Do you believe those are the coordinates you have the 110 dish set to?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
I'm guessing you have issues with the dish thats pointed at 110.

You're around Tampa right? Assuming so, your dish pointed at 119 should be set to 238 and 38 AZ/EL or so which I trust it is if you're getting HBO HD and HDNet ok.

Your dish pointed at 110 should be set to about 228 and 46, AZ/EL. Do you believe those are the coordinates you have the 110 dish set to?
Dan:

Thanks for the response. I almost sent you a private message hoping you would answer this.

Actually, the dish I am pointed to had an elevation of 46. The web site I had gone on said that both the 110 and 119 dishes had elevations of 45.8 and 45.9 if memory serves.

Is it possible to have the Zenith read good signal strengths on transponders 8,10,12 for Sat C (110) when it is really pointed at Sat B

(119)?

Which site do you use to point the dishes (?URL)

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well it's hard to say what different receivers might show on different (incorrect?) installations but rest assured if you have both the 119 and 110 dishes set to the same EL one of em is going to be incorrect. ;) The only time the settings are the "same" is when you're using a multi slot dish like the elliptical or the Dish500 which is designed to split the difference with the one EL setting (and AZ for that matter).

And if you dont have them set to the same EL, maybe dish pointing isnt your problem. It just seemed like it might have been based on the results and the fact you you questioned yourself on the dish pointing to begin with. So I thought it might pay to double check.

In this case, I happened to use this look angle chart:
http://www.kusat.com/install/look.shtml

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using the Kusat website calculator, and my coordinates:

82.75W Latitude, 45.8 N Longitude, I come up with:

119 satellite: 237.5 Azimuth, 38.7 Elevation

110 Satellite: 227.8 Azimuth, 45.8 Elevation

Are these correct?

If so, you are right, I must by pointed to the wrong satellite.

Unfortunately, the elevation on my mast is set at 46 degrees. I'll have to double check if it isn't plumb (I thought it was). I also thought I was pointed to 228 degrees azimuth, but I've always found it hard to get a good compass reading near the metal of the mast.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, the latest chapter in the saga :

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm hosting a monlogue here. Just got a knowledgeable CSR on D*TV and when I asked him if Channel 90 should be in Spanish, he said, no. Therefore, I must be pointed at the 119 bird.

Can anyone tell me the proper pointing for the 110 bird for zip code 33777, or Latitude 87.25W, Longitude 27.85 N (Largo, Florida)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
What are you seeing on 90 then? A Spanish preview channel with both audio and video? That would mean you're seeing channel 400, a 119 channel there.

I'm pretty sure those are the coordinates for 110, why wouldnt they be?

What about the combiner input connections themselves? You're sure that Sat C goes to Sat C and B goes to B?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zzzzdoc
I'm hosting a monlogue here. Just got a knowledgeable CSR on D*TV and when I asked him if Channel 90 should be in Spanish, he said, no. Therefore, I must be pointed at the 119 bird.

Can anyone tell me the proper pointing for the 110 bird for zip code 33777, or Latitude 87.25W, Longitude 27.85 N (Largo, Florida)?

Thanks.
The proper direction to aim for the 110 sattelite is in between the positions of the 101 sattelite and the 119 sattelite. If you are standing behind your dish and facing the sky (some approximation of south), the 101 will be leftmost (more to the south from where you are), and the 119 will be right most (more to the south west) - provided you are in the Northern hemisphere.

Or another way, by guess or by golly is to look for the position of the sun. The position of the sun in the sky appears at some lattitude according to the time of the year over the 0 degree meridan at 0000 GMT and moves 15 degrees per hour. So it will be over the 110 meridan at 110 / 15 = 07:20 GMT. Adjust for your timezone and daylight savings time accordingly and you will have the approxiate time of day to look in the sky and see the correct azimuth for the sattelite. The elevation will vary of course according to the time of the year, with the elevation of the satellite being lower than the sun during the summer months and being higher in in the winter.

This all being a bit approximate.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. Success, I think.

I went and searched back and forth in the sky with a meter and eventually found the 110 bird. I don't know why, but it is at a higher elevation and slightly east of where I think it should be, but I won't fight with success.

Now I get ShoHD, but interestingly enough, channel 90 no longer shows the Spanish channel, but gives a message saying the transmission cannot be received in my area.

So no channel 90, I guess, but more importantly, I get channel 543. Also now, the auto-detection for dish finds all three dishes. Awesome signal strength on the 110 bird, also. 91-96, which is levels I don't come close to on the 119 dish, but can get on the 101 dish. Maybe the 24" dish was worth it (Nah, too heavy, bulky).

Are there any other channels presently being broadcast (even as test signals) on the 110 bird?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Good job. And you're seeing just what you're supposed to be seeing on 90. Just that message, thats the test. Also it's normal that the 110 strengths are higher because 119 is crippled somewhat.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Dan, and everybody. This is the great part about this forum. Everybody helps everybody -- with periodic time-outs for flaming. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.