AVS Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
The overall image processing of the TV was also vastly improved.. a more sharp/crisp picture, along with the pre-calibrated Technicolor mode.
I think that's from undefeatable added sharpness. No shame in preferring that as I run fairly high sharpness when most calibrators will turn it all off - to me that just gives a soft non HD picture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No offense intended but the A1E should have a significant advantage to compensate for the $1k price difference.
Baseline motion aside it has much better motion interpolation, where the LGs is flawed. If you don't like any of that then get the LG and save the money but for me part of the appeal of the Sony is the ability to smooth difficult material well.

·
Banned
2,491 Posts
Baseline motion aside it has much better motion interpolation, where the LGs is flawed. If you don't like any of that then get the LG and save the money but for me part of the appeal of the Sony is the ability to smooth difficult material well.
I have a new suggested "motion" test clip for all of the TVs in discussion att: @jjref; the 4K UHD of the movie Hell or High Water, this panning intro, I can confirm is absolutely brutal on the 2017 LG OLED, currently the only clip I have a vast issue with... I have yet to test it on the A1E (I will soon)... Wonder how the A9 chip will fare with this:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have a new suggested "motion" test clip for all of the TVs in discussion att: @jjref; the 4K UHD of the movie Hell or High Water, this panning intro, I can confirm is absolutely brutal on the 2017 LG OLED, currently the only clip I have a vast issue with... I have yet to test it on the A1E (I will soon)... Wonder how the A9 chip will fare with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyA4n23nsP8
this was brutal on my iPad

·
Banned
2,491 Posts
this was brutal on my iPad
Yeah, I just looked at it on my laptop... just a really unfair motion clip on a TV..

·
Registered
5 Posts
This thread was an awesome read! thank you to everyone who has contributed of the last several months!

I'm, current looking at the A1E or C7... considering we are at the end of may, Would it be better to wait for the 2018 models? Looks like the C8 will get an upgraded processor to match if not beat the A1E. I haven't found any updates to the A8F processor wise but the odd a frame slant is fixed and its a fair bit thinner overall.

Would it be foolish to buy the C8 coming out soon at $3500 vs the solid C7 at $2500? Am thinking just the processor upgrade is not really worth $1000.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
^^^each one of the choices is a good problem to have. Reviews aren't out yet for the 2018 models. If your on a budget then the B/C7 is a great buy, if you want the latest and greatest then go then the 2018. I have a C7 and love it, it upscales just fine, motion is subjective so can't really say one way or another if it will bother you, I have no issues in that regard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
^^^each one of the choices is a good problem to have. Reviews aren't out yet for the 2018 models. If your on a budget then the B/C7 is a great buy, if you want the latest and greatest then go then the 2018. I have a C7 and love it, it upscales just fine, motion is subjective so can't really say one way or another if it will bother you, I have no issues in that regard.
Thanks Cam!

I am thinking I would be better off with the C7 and putting the $1000 toward a good sound system.

However, I have been on the fence between C7 and A1E... in my local BB it was a clear difference between the 2, but I have no idea if the C7 had the technicolor firmware update or not... will go in tomorrow and check it out.

If I do decide that the A1E is worth it over the C7, then I will likely wait for the C8 to compare to the A1E considering they will be the same price. (unless the A1E drops due to the A8F coming out)

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
^^^although I do have, what I consider a decent 5.1 system, I'm more of a video guy than audio. This is a good time to buy because of last year's models and the discounts. I would take a few days and see which one of those meets your needs. Either way you'll get outstanding pq, whether it's the Sony or LG, these are some of the best sets ever made imo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the one thing that keeps me leaning toward the A1E is the video upscaling capabilities with the better processor.

is there a go-to video clip for testing upscale capabilities?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
That I don't know, maybe ask in the a1e thread. A good option would be to go to your local BB and see if they let you test them.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Thanks Cam!

I am thinking I would be better off with the C7 and putting the $1000 toward a good sound system.

However, I have been on the fence between C7 and A1E... in my local BB it was a clear difference between the 2, but I have no idea if the C7 had the technicolor firmware update or not... will go in tomorrow and check it out.

If I do decide that the A1E is worth it over the C7, then I will likely wait for the C8 to compare to the A1E considering they will be the same price. (unless the A1E drops due to the A8F coming out)
I would expect the A1E to drop when the A9F (With the new X1 Ultimate processor) comes out, not due to the A8F. That's the A1E replacement, not the A8F as far as I can find.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts