AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here's a picture of my new house. We're going to mount a television where that china cabinet was along the back wall. I was planning on purchasing a pair of speakers, but I started worrying about the design of the room.

Some sound from the right channel is going to reflect off the wall that is right next to it. The left channel won't reflect because sound can just go through to the next room.

I am considering two options: set up the speakers at the appropriate height and damn the asymmetry in the room? or, mount the speakers above the opening to the other room?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenthScale /forum/post/16921395

Are you using a Receiver with correction?

I think I would go at proper height and let the correction do it's thing.

You could also play with some treatments on the reflective wall too.

I don't have a receiver yet. Initially I'll be using my computer speakers, Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Hypothetically, if I get a receiver with correction, it could help in level balancing but it still won't do anything for the change in details you would hear from a reflective and non-reflective side, right?

Alternatively, if I'm sending data to the speakers from a HTPC, can the HTPC apply the same kind of correction a good receiver can?

No treatments on the wall...yet. My wife and I just bought this as our first house, we just had a wedding, and we're in serious debt. I am going to put together the most basic system I can to hold me over for the next two years or so.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panfist /forum/post/16921437

I don't have a receiver yet. Initially I'll be using my computer speakers, Klipsch Promedia 2.1. Hypothetically, if I get a receiver with correction, it could help in level balancing but it still won't do anything for the change in details you would hear from a reflective and non-reflective side, right?

Alternatively, if I'm sending data to the speakers from a HTPC, can the HTPC apply the same kind of correction a good receiver can?

No treatments on the wall...yet. My wife and I just bought this as our first house, we just had a wedding, and we're in serious debt. I am going to put together the most basic system I can to hold me over for the next two years or so.

Agree with the previous suggestion, mount speakers appropriately so that L and R speaker tweeters will be at ear level when seated in the sweet spot(s). Definitely get an AVR with correction such as Audyssey; helps set the channels to proper levels and really can help with room correction. Wall treatments will thereafter allow you to get to your best possible result.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
You didn't say how wide the room is. But if the flat panel you buy is about as wide as that china cabinet and you place the speakers right next to the sides of the screen, then it would appear that there should be around 4 ft, maybe a bit less from the speaker to the wall. That would be a very good distance as the speaker has the space its needs.

A much larger problem would be the hard wood floor, which will make the room too live, compared to a room with thick carpet. You might thing about adding a large area rug to go out front of the speakers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think my TV will be as wide as the cabinet that's there. Depending on funds, we'll be getting a 42-46" TV. I don't have the measurements available, but from memory and the picture's I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 15'-18' (about 5.5 meters).

A rug is a great idea.

Also, a good receiver with room correction is probably out of the question (for the immediate future). One of the speakers I currently have farts out during loud sounds below 200Hz or so, so speakers are the next component that I'm going get. I'm going to continue using it, probably until Christmas. In the meantime, and for future reference, I'm looking for input as to the best spot.

I think everyone has agreed: tweeters at ear level.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
As you're only going with 2 channel, you can just get by with a normal stereo receiver, at least for the forseeable future.

Placing the speakers so they're at least 4 ft from the walls, and toed-in, which will be no problem, having a 46" screen in a room about 16' wide, and adding a thick area rug out front will produce fairly good sound.

Anytime you can place the speakers that far away from the side walls, or more, greatly cuts down the effects of first reflections.

I have my mains almost 5 ft from the side walls and there is no problem with a muddled sound as one would get having speakers too close to the walls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts