AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I would like to ask your opinion regarding a subwoofer connection issue.

I recently purchased an HK3490 receiver that I plan to use for two-channel listening in my main room. I have an Energy ESW-8 subwoofer that I had hooked up to a previous receiver with a dedicated (mono) line out into the subwoofer R (mono) RCA input, which worked fine.

The new receiver has the option of hooking up the subwoofer with both L and R RCA cables, though it specifically states that both are full-range signals. The subwoofer has L/R RCA inputs. The manual for this subwoofer notes that for LFE applications the single cable will be fine, but for stereo (music) applications one should use two cables (or an RCA cable with L/R terminators). I don't plan to use this system for anything other than music.

I just ordered a single subwoofer cable from [one of the forum sponsors]. Do I need to order two Y adapters or will I be ok hooking the single cable to the mono output/input on the receiver/subwoofer?

thanks very much -

Michael Mosser

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and the info. I was all set to be satisfied with the sub cable (since I was satisfied with the one I had on there anyway, just wanted a better cable) until I started reading manuals and saw the instructions in the subwoofer manual:

METHOD 2 - RCA - LINE IN FOR STEREO APPLICATIONS

1 On the rear of the receiver/pre-amp there should be stereo (left and Right) RCA type jacks marked Left and Right Pre-Amp Outputs. Connect a pair of RCA cables from those jacks to the LINE IN/SUB IN on the rear of the subwoofer. A standard male to male RCA cable is needed.

2 After connecting the stereo LINE IN/SUB IN connection, plug your ENERGY® subwoofer into an AC outlet. Do not use the AC outlet on the rear of your receiver. After plugging in the unit, switch the Main Power to On.

3 See Final System Adjustments, below.
The HK 3489 sub outputs are not labeled Left and Right Pre-Amp Outputs, but they are labeled L/R so I went ahead and got two Y-cables to fill the L/R inputs on the receiver and the sub. I suspect that it won't make a sonic difference one way or the other whether or not I have the subwoofer cable hooked up mono/mono or stereo/stereo. Some folks claim there will be a 3db improvement in bass boost, but I'll believe it when I hear it. Either way, it's covered, so I'm good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts