AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unusual room which doesn't lend itself to Dolby's recommendations or alternatives. I was hoping to get some other thoughts.

I have an attic I am currently finishing which will be used as a playroom for me and my son. Since it is an attic, the ceiling is low with sharply sloped walls with dimensions of 8.5' wide by 25' long. The ceiling starts just over 7.5 feet, until it hits pony walls which are about 3.5' tall. Think really long pup-tent.

Fronts and center are not really an issue in this setup. Listening/viewing position will be about 8-10' from the front.

Where to place the surrounds (direct radiators)? If I go up high, the slope of the ceiling puts the surround speakers very close together and reduces the walking space in the room. If I place them a decent distance apart, they will get closer to ear level.

Second, since I am pre-wiring fairly soon, it would be nice to have a reasonable estimate of how far back to place the surrounds. I may listen to multi-channel music occasionally, but it is not a very big part of my current listening habits.

I will, of course, use my own ears for final placement, but that isn't going to be particularly helpful prior to wiring going in and walls going up!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
430 Posts
What about going with matching mains and surround speakers? If floor-standing speakers are used, height becomes a non-issue. And IIRC, for proper 5.1/6.1/7.1 listening, identical speakers are recommended. Do you have that kind of leeway?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could easily have four matching floorstanding (or four bookshelves on stands). My concern is mainly, perhaps erroneously, the impression that for surround, speakers should be 2-3 feet above the listener's ears to reduce localization and improve diffusion of surround effects.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.