AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on advise on the Board, I will be running multiple 50 foot lengths of RG6 in-wall from a rack mount system to my display. This gets fun.... so far, 6 runs to the display (3 for component video, 2 for S-video, 1 for composite video), and I found awesome female f-59 to female rca jacks, s-video converter jacks, etc.

For my in-wall speaker runs, I will be using Monster speaker cable (yes, I know, but I love that stuff for speakers). I was also going to run a 50 foot RG6 for the LFE channel to the sub. The guy at Tweeter, who seemed knowledgeable, told me this is a BIG mistake because, due to the low audio frequencies associated with the LFE, I should use either a Monster or other suitable specialty sub-woofer cable and NOT RG6. Is there any truth to this?

Also, I have a system upstairs. I was going to run 2 RG6 100' lengths between the systems to link audio in both directions via the Coaxial digital audio connection. I want to, for example, put a CD on the upstairs system and have it play from both systems, and vice versa. Is RG6 ok to link my 2 systems for a 100' run of digital audio between systems?

Thanks. Inasmuch as my contractors are here installing cable, any prompt advice will be greatly appreciated before the walls get closed up.

- Adam

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I have had a 25' RG6 connection to my sub for about 4 years. Sounds great... well, I mostly feel it :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Try to get some Belden 1694A RG-6 or Commscope 5781 Quad shield RG-6. Either should do fine at those distances.

In my opinion I would use it for the sub-woofer too. Opinions on cable as you know are varied and numerous! Check out http://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm

They use it for digital as well as sub-woofer cable. I own several of these cables and they are great!

·
Registered
869 Posts
My fathers sub is run with about 50' of RG6 quad shield Commscope coaxial cable, my run is about 35'. They both Rock!! The Tweeter guy, may have been knowledgable, which is his job BTW, but still his paycheck mostly depends on what he sells.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. BTW, the tweeter guy was not trying to sell me. He was telling me to use RG-59 for the sub, and RG-6 for the other stuff.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Make sure the coax cables have a solid copper center conductor. A few cheaper cables use a copper plated steel conductor center conductor. That works fine for RF, but the higher DC resistance of the cable causes a voltage drop for audio frequencies, especially for long runs.

(Rhinocables have solid copper center conductors)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.