AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Crystal Image V2.0 scaler with a NEC-135LC projector on a 92 x 54 in. 1.5 gain screen.

I do not plan on using a HTPC. I know the HTPC produces a better picture, but I am loathe to tangle with the Microsoft interface.

Would upgrading the scaler to a Rock+ or a Leeza product buy me significant improvement in picture quality?

Use is mostly DVD with some OTA high definition.

If there is an improvement to be had, what products with a street price of under $3,000 be a match with the NEC 135LC and give me a sharper image?

The reason for this query is that there are some B-stock Rock units for sale on VidoegoN, and it sparked my interest.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I "upgraded" my VS2.0 to a Lumagen Vision, and I am very pleased with the improvement in picture quality and flexibility. The Lumagen doesn't have the banding and overall brightness shifts with shot changes that I experienced with the VS2. The Lumagen produces a more dimensional and film-like picture in my opinion.

The Lumagen also has better control and menus. No more quirky status menu command that the VS2 remote control had. The Lumagen is very easy to use. It's completely transparent in my setup. Something no HTPC will ever be. The Lumagen also does a better job at producing a progressive scan signal than most progressive scan DVD players according independent tests. And since it's a scaler there's no loss in signal quality compared to using a progressive scan DVD player.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.