AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I am looking at adding a turntable to my audio setup, which is getting increasingly complex lately. I would like to spend $500 or less, but that could be reexamined. I was looking at the Technics SL-1200MK & Denon DP-300F. I have no desire to DJ or scratch, I just want a high quality analog sound. After reading many posts here I'm thinking I should add Rega P1 and Pro-ject Debut III to my list. What do you recommend. I would love the versatility to add a much better cartridge after I upgrade my speakers, (next project, like what I've heard about Aperion) but I have too many LPs I need to enjoy now.

Also, I shouldn't need a preamp with the 2809, right? It has phono inputs so I'm assuming a preamp wouldn't be worth it...

Current Equipment:

Denon 2809ci receiver (new)

Technics Floor Speakers (3 way w/ 8" driver)

JBL Flix 10 center & surrounds

JBL 500 Bookshelf speakers

Yamaha YST-SW90 Subwoofer

· Registered
6,156 Posts
The Technics is head-and-shoulders above the others you mentioned. But it generally does not come with a cartridge, so you have to figure that into the bargain.

No, you won't need a phono pre, but it's one possible upgrade down the road.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

Sweet. Looks like im going with the technics 1210 and a shure m97.

I saw a post about a Denon 3808 (better than my 2809) and how he hooked up a preamp and it went from sounding ok to amazing, do you agree?

What would some good preamps be to look into?

· Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
I saw a post about a Denon 3808 (better than my 2809) and how he hooked up a preamp and it went from sounding ok to amazing, do you agree?

No. I'd say it would go from pretty good to somewhat better—still worth it but not the first place I'd put my money. The one I typically recommend (based largely on a good review in The Sensible Sound) is the Parasound Zphono, which runs about $150.

· Registered
610 Posts
I would put the Technics table at the bottom of your list... way, way at the bottom. Unless you're planning on DJ'ing (which is what the Technics was built for), there is no way that it could be compared to a Rega (note that the Rega P2 is the price-equivalent to the Technics) or the Pro-ject. And the Denon is a great casual enthusiast table that's a lot nicer to use since it's automatic. Audiophiles generally aren't who anyone should listen to, but their malign of the Technics direct-drive system is well-earned.

The 2809 has a great phone amp built-in. I think Denon's phono sections are far-and-away the best available in a receiver.

The M97 is a much-loved cartridge with a lot of strengths, but has lost a lot of ground to the AT440MLa which is worth looking at for its tracking strengths that put the M97 to shame.

· Registered
6,156 Posts
To each his own, I suppose. But this is simply false:
Quote:
Unless you're planning on DJ'ing (which is what the Technics was built for)

The 1200 was built for the consumer market. It was adopted by the pro world because it's a great table that also happens to be built like a tank. In terms of speed accuracy and stability and overall isolation, it leaves everything else in its price class in the dust.

· Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15421623

The 1200 was built for the consumer market. It was adopted by the pro world because it's a great table that also happens to be built like a tank. In terms of speed accuracy and stability and overall isolation, it leaves everything else in its price class in the dust.

While I'm not a Technics owner I agree 100%, as a matter of fact, I for one do not like low end belt drives, espescially the P-1, it's flimsy , IMO. along with it's MDF platter, yuck ! on the the other hand the Rega P-9 is a stellar piece and will perform well beyond it's price point.

I've stated before relative the price point you mention..... I wouldn't ! for my way of thinking is to be patient, save more $$$ (at least dbl your budget) and if the Rega line is to your liking start out @ the P-3 or above.

· Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr /forum/post/15420365

I would put the Technics table at the bottom of your list... way, way at the bottom. Unless you're planning on DJ'ing (which is what the Technics was built for), there is no way that it could be compared to a Rega (note that the Rega P2 is the price-equivalent to the Technics) or the Pro-ject. And the Denon is a great casual enthusiast table that's a lot nicer to use since it's automatic. Audiophiles generally aren't who anyone should listen to, but their malign of the Technics direct-drive system is well-earned.

The 2809 has a great phone amp built-in. I think Denon's phono sections are far-and-away the best available in a receiver.

The M97 is a much-loved cartridge with a lot of strengths, but has lost a lot of ground to the AT440MLa which is worth looking at for its tracking strengths that put the M97 to shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15421623

Back in the 80's I spent most of my time as a DJ, was one of the founders of the largest local DJ company. I saw my share of Tech 1200 and Stanton's; the Tech 1200 was our choice, because it was a tank, reliable, easy to use, could adjust the speed to equalize beats (pitch), had a light, etc. It was not built for the consumer market, it was built for commercial use (radio stations, dj's, institutions, etc.). For the consumer market Technics had other models, back then a lot.

We bought the Tech 1200's not because of sound, motor speed stability, tracking ability, details, mids, bass control, or whatever other feature that as audiophiles we look for now. We used it because it did the job well. The same with the cartridge, we always used Shure and Audio Technica (AT), don't remember the models. But, they held well to the stress of scratching, turning backwards the records to find the beat, etc. Many of you remember Electro-Boogie (God forgive me as I have sin), Break Dancing (God forgive me again), and playing Heavy Metal records counterclockwise to hear secret diabolical messages (my favorite urban legend of the time).

Don't get me wrong the Tech 1200 is a good TT, but there is so much you can get out of it. These days my preference is a Rega P2 with glass plate, and my choice of cartridge (Grado Gold). I wanted the AT440MLa, but my dealer didn't carry AT. These days I look for detailed mids, natural sounding voices, electronics not getting in the way of sound, tight and controlled bass, and enjoy music.

If I want to dance and rock out loud, I would use a 1200. But to sit down, with a cigar and a glass of aged in wooden barrels rum, I go with my P2.

My recommendation, go with the Rega P1, PJ Debut III, or Music Hall MMF-2.2; none of them will dissapoint you. And if you want a killer entry-level package go for the Rega P1 or MH MMF-2.2, change the plater to glass or acrylic, add ProJect's Speed Box, and you are set. If budget/price is important you can get the PJ Debut III for $310.00 at many dealers.

· Registered
15,246 Posts
That aged in wooden barrels rum sounds good. Wouldn't have Joe Kennedy's name on it somewhere would it?

· Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/15440182

Maybe Ted Kennedy's. Oh, wait - that would be "pickled", and not "aged".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/15440073

That aged in wooden barrels rum sounds good. Wouldn't have Joe Kennedy's name on it somewhere would it?

Don Q Grand Añejo, 3-12 years (depending on barrel age) in French Oak Barrels. Now, back to TT's.

· Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFinny /forum/post/15416729

I have a technics 1200mk2 with AT 150mlx cartridge connected to Denon 4308 phono. Pro-ject tube box II has arrived today so I hooked it up and did some listening. The difference is subtle right out of box when compared to denon 4308 phono. Maybe it will open up later.....

· Registered
2,281 Posts
i would highly recommend the rega p1-p3, the project, or the music hall 2.2-5.1--all great intro turntables.

you need a MM cartridge (which should come with most of these tables) to use in your turntable if you are using the denon phonostage.

If you want a great sounding phono preamp (based on mikey fremers' Stereophile review and my own experience with it with high-gain (>2.5MV) MM cartridges) the belles vp130 will make for beautiful sound (my dad has a mf 2.2 with the belles and I have a marants tt15s1 that I use with it). i also have a music hall phono pream that was rather bright and disappointing. the zphono does seem great for the money--nad and vincent also make ineqpensive preamps as do many other companies.

the technics would not be personally on my list.

· Registered
299 Posts

Quote:
i would highly recommend the rega p1-p3, the project, or the music hall 2.2-5.1--all great intro turntables.

+1 for the Music Hall. I have the Music Hall 5(not the 5.1) and although not the best in the world, is is very high on the 'bang for buck' scale. My pre-amp for it is a Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3(discontinued. the current version is the v.8)

Whatever your choices, don't skimp on the phono pre. When I got the Music Hall, they sold me a pre-in-a-box,(a small metal box with RCAs and a crappy PSU) and said that it would work fine. Wrong. It crushed the dynamics, and severely rolled off the highs, while distorting them. Spending at little more for the X-LPS was worth it. Lucky for me, the place I go has a one week return policy.

· Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
So why all the hate for the tech 1200s?

Basically, there's a cottage industry of little belt-drive manufacturers, who've been trashing direct-drives since god-knows-when. The audiophile press has followed along, both because it prefers little guys to mass marketers and because there are more potential advertisers of belt-drive products. Most audiophiles only know what they read, and this is what they read. Toss in specialty retailers, who don't carry mass-market brands like Technics (which is generally sold in pro audio shops), and you've got a high-end echo chamber.

Quote:
Do they sound worse than the others? Isn't phono cartridge more important?

It's a system, so everything's important. But the 1200 does basically everything a turntable is supposed to do as well as or better than anything else in the sub-$1000 class.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.