AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washington Post reporter Mike Musgrove's article "Up Next, Growing Pains" appeared on the front page of the Business section in today's (12/15/02) issue of The Washington Post. It's the second major article on HDTV in as many weeks to appear in the Post, and is another fairly well-written effort. My only quibble with the article is that Musgrove almost completely ignores projectors as HDTV displays. Ah well, nobuddyz purfeckt.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It is amazing that so many articles are starting to appear in the media like the Post. I'm wondering about the credits for that article "Research by Circuit City...." They seem to really push the LCD/Plasma display technology and have provided a completely wrong glossary description of projection TV. This certainly mirrors the current CC and BB stores that are not showing any front projection technology. What's even more out of kilter is their description of DLP and LCD as somehow related to flat panel display technologies. At least HD is getting some attention after several years.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans
My only quibble with the article is that Musgrove almost completely ignores projectors as HDTV displays. Ah well, nobuddyz purfeckt.
Scott,

While I won't dispute the fact that projectors offer a great HD experience, I'm not certain they'll become a hot mainstream item. Most people are going to purchase a set to watch all the time and the lighting conditions for an acceptable projector enviroment restrict its usefullness as a full-time set. Unless one wants to live in near total darkness for most of the day, I'm not sure this is the road they'll travel. Can't imagine if you're home with a couple of kids wanting to watch something in the middle of the day that you can just cloak the living room in darkness. They'll end up like those freaky little children in "The Others." :D

(For the projector crowd getting all worked up while reading this, it's not an attack on projectors. I realize nothing beats HD on a 110' screen.)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Front projectors are never going to be a mainstay item .. they are fine even excellent for the videophille who can dedicate a room to them, and has no wife or a very very understanding one .. but 95% of households will never, ever, ever have a front projector system .. hence they dont get the attention because the mainstream people just dont care about something they would never buy ..

·
Registered
553 Posts
My experience with "consumers" who have seen my front projector system has been a set of questions like:

"This is great! Why can't I buy one at xxxxx store?"

"I've never seen a picture like this anywhere, especially not in a store"

"So that's what HDTV looks like! It's amazing!"

"I asked the salesman about front projectors and he didn't know anything"

"I really want this!"

Almost all the comments center around why has this technology been kept secret, why can't I buy it locally, why can't I see it in a store, why is there no information about it .... etc.

I never receive comments about "I would never have something like this, I want regular TV" I always get "Where can I get it?"

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpfarr
My experience with "consumers" who have seen my front projector system has been a set of questions like:

"I really want this!"

Almost all the comments center around why has this technology been kept secret, why can't I buy it locally, why can't I see it in a store, why is there no information about it .... etc.

I never receive comments about "I would never have something like this, I want regular TV" I always get "Where can I get it?"
I don't doubt that for a second. But how many of them have the ability/means to create a perfect environment for a projector? The family of four living in a two-bedroom apartment - or home for that matter - isn't a candidate for a projector. Videophiles with dedicated or semi-dedicated theater rooms and the ability to control all ambient light are. But we are in the minority I believe.

Anyone - myself included - who has ever seen a projector has to be blown away by the image, but when they get home and realize the room in which they watch TV has sun beaming through the windows from all angles all day, it doesn't make much sense to invest that much cash into a product that will not give them similar results to what they experienced at a store or friend's house.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I agree 95% of HHs will never have a projector. But the new forecasts suggest that 2-3% of U.S. HHs will do to declining costs, declining size and increased performance. If you asked me a year ago, I'd have said it'll never get above 1% (in fact, if you search all over AVS, you can probably shove that prediction in my face :) ).

I now believe the new forecasts are right in that by decade's end, we should have 3 million U.S. HHs will projectors -- or perhaps a few more. Not terrible, eh?

Mark

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yup .. thats the reply you get from the husband before he talks to his wife about it :) I don't know what it is about projectors but wives universaly HATE them.

Quote:
Originally posted by tpfarr

"I really want this!"

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Yup .. thats the reply you get from the husband before he talks to his wife about it I don't know what it is about
Sounds familiar - I am all ready to improve my setup (36' direct view 4*3) - but my wife says that's fine. Wait until our son moves out of the basement and then you can have that for a projection system after you add an addition onto the family room (no drapes) and redo the kitchen for "us".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reikl,

Your comment about wives and pjs is dead on. I just finished a lengthy negotiation for my first PJ. Her objections:

1. There's all these wires for people to trip over.

2. I just want to go downstairs and turn it on.

3. It's not going to be bright enough.

I could go on, but you get the picture (no pun intended.) I finally got her agreement (concession?), but only after much nodding and saying,"Yes, Dear," on my part. First projector, here I come!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.