AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some new speakers for my home theater setup and a friend recommended posting here.

Currently I have a Denon AVR-E400 7.1 channel receiver operating in 2.1 channel mode. I am using two 20 year old Pioneer SH153BK 160w speakers with brand new Klipsch SW-350 350w powered subwoofer. I want to replace the bookshelf speakers with new and upgrade to a 5.1 setup.

I'm looking to spend $100 per speaker, but that's not a hard limit. Being very picky about audio quality, I want the best possible quality for this budget. The main use will be lots of movies and tv shows. I also enjoy jamming out to loud music, so sounding good at high volumes is a must. I'm currently in an apartment but will be moving to a house soon. I don't know the room size, but let's say 12x15. I would prefer bookshelf speakers.

I was looking at these speakers but am not sure what center to match with it?
Klipsch KB-15

I was also looking at this combination
Pioneer SP-BS22
Pioneer SP-C22

My questions are
1) Why is it hard to find 160w speakers like my current ones? Someone told me this might be because the newer ones are more efficient and will probably sound the same even at a lower wattage?
2) Should front left/right speakers match rear left/right? I know to match the impedance, but what about wattage?
3) How can the receiver put out 185 watts per channel, 7 channels times 185 watts is almost 1300 watts? Is that rating accurate or is it a marketing gimmick?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry there are no links. I linked to every product but it made me remove them since this is my first post...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
3) How can the receiver put out 185 watts per channel, 7 channels times 185 watts is almost 1300 watts? Is that rating accurate or is it a marketing gimmick?
The new 'convention' for multichannel receivers seems to be to give the maximum rating with two channels driven.

Your owners manuals lists:
Power consumption: 460 W

185W x 2 = 370W add losses and power to run the non-amplifier parts = 460W

If you try to max out 'all channels driven' the available power gets shared - you might see around 50W from all channels at once.

It's not something that occurs with normal program material.

--

On the other hand, standalone multichannel amplifiers often give the 'all channels driven' rating, but have the power supply to support it.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
for your budget, the Pioneer speakers may prove a good option, as they get fairly good reviews from users on this forum. They can often be found at quite good sale prices online, amazon and newegg being a couple of places to check.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi and welcome to AVS! I have a room about the same size as yours. I tried the Pioneers a few weeks ago. Did not work for me. The highs were not all there and they had zero bass. The bass part I got as the driver is tiny. If you were 4-5 feet from them AND with a sub, they are not that bad.
Find something with at least a 5/5.5 inch mid bass driver. You will be much happier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After realizing the cost of a good sound system, I raised my budget a little and am currently looking at this configuration. It has 5.25" drivers and seems to have good reviews everywhere. Thoughts? It would cost me around $850.

1x Klipsch RC-52 - Center
2x Klipsch RB-51 - Fronts
2x Klipsch RS-42 - Rears

Again, sorry, it's not letting me post links to the products yet. I need a few more posts.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's what I (think) I will be doing. I had a WAF issue and the towers have to go! LOL!

Have you head Klipsch speakers before? Go listen to them before you buy. They can be "bright" and "in your face". I just happen to like them. Some don't.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
After realizing the cost of a good sound system, I raised my budget a little and am currently looking at this configuration. It has 5.25" drivers and seems to have good reviews everywhere. Thoughts? It would cost me around $850.

1x Klipsch RC-52 - Center
2x Klipsch RB-51 - Fronts
2x Klipsch RS-42 - Rears

Again, sorry, it's not letting me post links to the products yet. I need a few more posts.
That would make for a great 5 channel system for movies and TV.

I really like mine for music, but like karlsaudio said, best to go listen to them or better yet get the pair of RB51s and demo them in your own home to see if they will work for your musical tastes.

As for the power of your AVR- tested by sound and vision

0.1% THD 1.0% THD
2 Channels, 8 Ohms 103.0 watts 116.5 watts
2 Channels, 4 Ohms 93.3 watts 166.4 watts
5 Channels, 8 Ohms 70.0 watts 84.7 watts
7 Channels, 8 Ohms 62.3 watts 69.5 watts

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
Currently I have a Denon AVR-E400 7.1 channel receiver operating in 2.1 channel mode. I am using two 20 year old Pioneer SH153BK 160w speakers

My questions are
1) Why is it hard to find 160w speakers like my current ones? Someone told me this might be because the newer ones are more efficient and will probably sound the same even at a lower wattage?
Your current ones are true bottom entry level speakers - and would die (burn up), if you
gave them 160 watts average.

The 160 watts is only short term peak - I use to own them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wanted to let you all know of the results. I ended up buying 2x Klipsch RB-51 last month and they sound pretty epic. I absolutely love the way the high frequencies come through crystal clear. I really can hear certain details more clearly that I could before, just like the reviews stated. I have an Klipsch RC-52 on the way, should be here Wednesday. I'll have to wait a month or two before I can order the surrounds though.

Thanks all for the help :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts