AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a ton of posts regarding the installation of this dish, but I have not found a thread to answer all my questions. If anyone can be of help, that would be great.

I did get my Directv receiver today, and went about installing the dish. I previously had Dish Network, and have always been able to get a strong signal from 119. I know D* uses a different satellite at 119, but they are close enough that I shouldn't have much trouble getting a signal. Well, I thought I would have trouble getting something from 101, but I get high 80's to almost 90 at 101. I can barely break 60 at 119 while maintaining a signal in the 80's with 101.

So here is the question. If I can lock strongly onto 101, which is the best adjustment to make with the dish? Elevation, Azimuth, or tilt? What signal strength is typical with both satellites using the Oval dish? Should both be around the 80's or so, or should I get stronger on both? When I had Dish, I was in the 100's on 119, which leads me to believe I should be able to get a stronger signal.

So those are my biggest concerns. A final question is with NASA TV. Is that on 119 or 110? It didn't show up in the program guide and I was just interested to see if it was there. Thanks again.

Steve

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Be aware that the 119 satellite will yield a lower signal then the 101 or 110 satellites as they are operating at half power. If you can get up to 70 or so you should be fine with no breakups.

Good luck!

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frank. I did not know this. Is there a reason why this is so, and is it temporary? Will signal strength increase anytime soon?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Frank. I did not know this. Is there a reason why this is so, and is it temporary? Will signal strength increase anytime soon?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am lucky to get 70 on the D* 119 while I am getting 110+ from the E* 119 at the same time. So, your experience is parallel with mine. 101 is no problem. Plenty of signal on that one (although not as much as 119 E*).

If you peak the dish for 101 all the rest of the birds will fall into place. I was surprised to find that the skew did not change things very much once I got the elevation and azimuth locked in, so I put it back where they said to put it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.