AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, so I decided to change a few caps in my 1030.

While I was at it, I found and re-soldered the cracks on the IC's in the powersupply and convergence boards. So I neutralize all the pots, re-mount my pristine set of HD-144 color corrected lenses and start tweaking. One thing about these units is how dramatically the convergence board heatsinks cool down when the pots are all at neutral. Wow!

So start to focus the tubes and things look good. But at high contrast things still blurr a lot. Did some reading about the 2 pole astig magnets, but the 1030 I have, has none. Undeterred I head for the garage and my sony junk bin. I have a full set of 4 pole astig rings from a 1001 or similar unit that had 07ms tubes in it. So I mount the magnets to my 1030. After doing a careful astig setup I crank up the brightness and rotate the other set of rings to fine tune things even more. At this point I am impressed. It looks like the 4 pole magnets are a definite improvement over the 2 pole set. It just dialed the spot in that much better. Now I have quite sharp focus even at high contrast. YESSSS :)

I just thought I'd share that one for those who may wish to try and squeeze even more out of their 1030/31's.

4 IS better than 2, or none.

Marc

·
Registered
496 Posts
Another tip --- I don't remember specifics, but I found very noticeable increases in brightness could be achieved before blooming depending on the resolution/scan rate. Certainly something to play with...

--Kieth

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.