AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have put this in my other thread, but it does not have to do with price, so I figured maybe more people would notice this in a separate thread.

Basically I want to know if the RDR-GX7 has a TBC. I am almost 100% sure I saw that it does. However, I looked at details of the recorder at several sites again today and it was not mentioned anywhere! And didn't some of you say a TBC is a must?

Also, what is the difference in quality between DVD-r and DVD-RW discs? I just assumed the quality of programs would be worse on DVD-RW because otherwise why would people put permanent shows on DVD-r discs?

I want to transfer about 200 vhs tapes to dvd. If I put them on dvd-RW, I could edit out commercials without having a HDD model. Otherwise, I have to either keep them or pause the recorder when recording. What is VR mode on Sony for RW discs? Can someone explain what VR mode even means? Lesser quality?

I am learning a lot, but there sure is a lot I still don't know about dvd recorders. Judging by Sony's video and audio DACs, it appears to me that Sony easily would have the best picture and sound between the different brands.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I know nothing about the Sony recorder but it is my understanding that there is no difference between the quality of the video recording between the -R and the -RW. They are both just recording the same 1's and 0's. Whether they are pretty or ugly really doesn't matter as long as they can be read accurately. I think the main reasons that people use -R's instead of -RW's is that they cost a lot less plus the -R's have better compatibility with old DVD players. A lot of DVD players won't play the -RW's.

Dave

·
Registered
217 Posts
The RDR-GX7 has a TBC and includes noise reductions and corrections for color, brightness, contrast so you can help a dull recording transfer nicer.

As for the second question, it doesn't matter. PQ is the same on both types of discs. The reason to choose one over the other is personal preference. For some it's cost of the blanks. -RW's run $2-3 and -Rs run about a buck. In my case I use -RWs to save stuff I record off TV. If I buy the DVD or just get sick of it, the RW can be re-used. When the kids grow up, we get rid of the plethora of that stuff and recycle those discs (or more liekly, change out Bob The Builder for Jimmie Neutron). -R's I use for stuff I know I will keep, such as home video transfers, or transfers of VHS movies (that I own of course). Also, if you want to do editing of any kind, the RW's (-, not +) are a must.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I forgot about the whole compatibility issue. I almost always get Sony products though, so actually that would not be a big issue. The money is a big issue though. I am thinking I will just record on -r discs and keep commercials in. Like someone else said on this forum, it is actually cool to watch commercials years down the road.

Also, I forgot to ask if instant search is similar to commercial skip or not. I actually bought the GX7 and kept it for a few days, but never really tried to figure out what the search button was for.

Glad to know it has the TBC. I sure thought I read that. But for some reason many sites dont even mention it.

thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
As you watch a show if you have time to record it and use pause you can delete the commericials and the seems do not show. I am transfering from my Tivo and pause the recorder while I fast forward through the commercials. It works great.

Don't forget to edit disk name and titles before you finalize!

:cool:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I just ahve so many tapes to transfer though and I partly want to keep the commercials. If I do keep them I still have to stop the recorder after each show or else I will have the chapters not at the starts of shows most likely.

Oh well, i will figure something out.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
I don't know how other recorders work but when I had the Panasonic DMR-E80H, I believe that the TBC was distorting the image quality.

Whether I was recording in XP or SP, or even not recording at all and just monitoring, the signal that was passing through the recorder had digital artifacts that weren't in the original. Since these artifacts were identical on recording in XP, SP, or just monitoring, the only item that could had added them was the TBC. I've heard many state that fine or XP mode on many recorders is almost exactly like the original. Not on this Panasonic E80. The artifacts were obvious.

I don't know if I just never noticed or if it was there all the time. I had originally thought that the monitored signal WAS THE ORIGINAL. It wasn't until later I realized that the monitored signal was not the signal at all, but a regenerated signal created by the E80. I believe the TBC does analog to digital conversion and that these artifacts were introduced then. They are typical artifacts that are seen on DBS or digital cable. They aren't always present but when they are, they're obvious. I could of had a TBC fail, I don't know but it would had been nice to bypass the TBC circuit completely. Most big name recorders have TBCs and I don't think any can be turned off. However I was the only one seeing the artifacts on the E80H, so maybe I was yet another person who was having reliability problems with the Panasonic, I don't know, but beware of TBC regardless.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was under the impression that at TBC simply stripped the frame info and generated a new, stable one. It really shouldn't have any effect on artifacting. There are of course DA converters involved and it sounds like your issue would be with that.

I have a stand-alone S-video TBC which I've owned for a while and it really helps stabilize old VHS recordings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.