AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can now record programs at the same time I watch them with HiPix. I can even watch a program that is in the process of being recorded before it is done being recorded. I thought I'd share my success with this for anyone who might be interested.

The way that I did it is to link two computers together with Gigabit Ethernet cards (10 megabit Ethernet isn't fast enough. Also, I'd recommend staying away from the D-Link Ethernet cards for this purpose at it locked my system every time I'd try to send the datastream over the card. I took them back and got SMC Gigabit Ethernet cards, and they worked like a charm.) I then installed a HiPix card in each system, and send the feed to the server, and then use the workstation to play recorded programs. Works great! HiPix is a lot more useful to me now.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sean,

Are you doing this with Win98 or ME?

I have tried this under Windows 2000 with my 100BT enet and a switch (not a hub).

I map the drive on the other machine and tell the Hipix to play from it. It reads for a few seconds (I can see the led blinking on the switch) and then the Hipix just says STOP and the switch ceases showing activity.

System does not lock up though.

Is this a Hipix/Win2k issue or are you doing it differently?

I tried this a long time ago and figured that networked drives were just not supported on the Hipix. Your post is making me re-visit this issue.

Thanks for any insights you can share.

Joe

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running the two systems under Windows ME. I don't understand why it didn't work when you tried it. As I indicated, when I tried to use the D-Link Gigabit Ethernet card, it wouldn't work (actually, I got it to work once, but that was all. Locked up every other time), but it works great with the SMC Gigabit Ethernet cards. I am not going through a hub at all. I am just running the RJ-45 CAT-5 cable from one computer to the other computer directly. I wouldn't think this would make a difference, though.

If you have any specific questions about my setup, feel free to ask.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sean,

You are correct, a direct connection with a cross over cable should make no difference over my using a switch.

My Netcards are Identical. They are Kingston cards which are the model : KNE100TX PCI Fast Ethernet

Maybe if I keep probing, we or a Win2k user will speak up and I can figure this out.

I want to buy a second Hipix card but until I can get this figured out, I am holding off.

The only difference (besides the OS) I can tell is that I do not have a Hipix card in the other machine but that should not matter one iota.

I have my IDE disks in removable cartridges and merely moved one which had a bunch of Hipix recordings onto the machine without a Hipix.

I then made that disk a Share so I can map the drive on the machine with the Hipix. That is the one I point the Hipix to.

Standard Windows networking stuff. I have 4 machines on my network and all the drives are setup as named Shares so I can get to them from each machine.

As I said, a few seconds of the Hipix saying "PLAY" but then it goes into "STOP". Hardly any network activity. The switch's leds should have been lit up light solid.

I tried recording for 5 minutes to that mapped drive over the network. The Hipix was indicating that it was recording but I had very little network activity and no files were showing up on the mapped drive.

I have no idea where that data went:)

You are using the TCP protocal bound to that adaptor as opposed to NetBui?

You have file and print sharing enabled on both machines?

You have the disk on the remote machine setup as a Share?

You are using the standard "MY Network Places,Computers Near Me", then selecting the machine on your network and mapping it's Drive which is setup as a Share?

What is your Connection Type set to in the Properties for the netcard? Autosense,Full duplex,etc?

Runnning out of ideas here.

Joe

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my testing to make sure it would work before I got another HiPix card, too. When I moved my HiPix card from one computer to the other, I was able to access the recorded files and play them fine with no HiPix in the server computer at all (which would be fully expected.)

I have both TCP/IP & NetBui bound to the adapter.

I have file sharing (no print sharing since there is no printer) enabled on the server only.

Under "My Network Places", I have the drive C on the server listed.

Regarding the properties for the card, I can't find this. If I go under "Device Manager" and bring up the properties for the SMC card, there are no settings like this. I suppose the card auto-senses automatically and sets itself to the maximum possible.

I hope this helps.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

OK, I found where this gets set and set it to 1000 megabit AUTO. (The 1000 megabit options don't have half or full duplex as options, only the 10 and 100 megabit options do.)

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I had tried the same thing that Joe did with the exact same results. (failure)

But now that the HiPix has dynamic file enumeration, it might not be such an issue. Just start copying the files from the remote computer over the network to your local computer. Once the first file is copied, start the playback. You must ensure that the files are copied in-order.

This will work for 100 megabit Ethernet.

But I'm still curious to know what Sean did to make it work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone tried two HiPix in one computer driving separate IDE channels on separate drives? Also, doesn't Windows 2000 or XP also support multiple video cards? Is it a problem with the IRQ or DMA channels of the HiPix not being adjustable? There may be a way to do this theoretically, or it could be possible to build a box with two mainboards, etc. ----- but

How does Microsoft's Ultimate TV record and playback simultaneously?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.