AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my refurb 60gb bit it and now a 2 time victim. It is only 2months passed the 90day warranty. Called Sony a service rep supervisor will be calling me tommorow to see if the $150 fee can be waived. After doing some research, there seems to be quite a number of 60gb this week reporting ylod following the psn error that had happened this past week as well and important not many of them like myself failed around 2pm today! Is it coincidence possibly but all at the same time highly unlikely, but its something to look into. There is a thread with other victims there as well.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P.../td-p/45344774

·
Registered
662 Posts
As I posted in the thread that was created on here about the date bug, my PS3 got the YLOD during the date bug while I was listening to music. The only sign I seen hinting that there could be something wrong was a single game would fail to boot up at times, it would hang up when switching resolutions. I did mention that I got the YLOD during the date bug when I e-mailed Sony, but they didn't acknowledge that part of my question. I probably would of been a bit more upset when this happened, but after opening up the PS3 it was clear why it got the YLOD and it wasn't because of a date bug. It got the YLOD because the thermal paste was no longer applied on the Cell or RSX right and didn't transfer the heat as it was supposed to.

Obviously I can't say the same for yours, or others, but it may just be a coincidence, just like after every firmware update there is someone saying the firmware killed there PS3. Anyways, good luck with it and there's always a do it yourself fix that will only cost you $10-$15 and a couple of hours.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The funny thing about this is that many of these systems failed on the same week all around the same time 2pm, so who knows. I hope my fee gets waived for a refurb.The problem with that $10 fix is is no way a permanent fix, expect to do it again in the coming weeks. I had to do it about 3-4 times on my launch 60gb before i finally bit the bullet and paid $150 for a refurb.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some advice - I was in a similar situation as you: my replacement failed shortly after the three month warranty. I talked to three different support agents who escalated to the help line supervisor trying to get them to waive a second replacement fee (I had already paid the $149 once).

They did not budge, and I asked for another phone number to lodge a complaint with Sony Corporate (not the game division). At that point they indicated they would escalate on my behalf, and I received a voicemail a few days later from a corporate rep indicating they would take care of it. (However, I had to call again to get them to ship the replacement free of charge - apparently the agreement to replace it was logged on my ticket, but the ticket was not routed to the proper department to get it moving.)

So...keep pushing if you get a "no". Be prepared to tell them you'll write corporate and copy your local consumer affairs division.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Great advice, joemama.

PS3 issues are a little different than the other stuff we buy that breaks just because the PS3 customer service department has to deal with so many kids that were negligent and broke their system outright.

Once you climb the C.S. ladder high enough to distinguish your complaint from the kids that drop kicked their system after a bad game of COD2, you usually start seeing results.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome news got a call today and was told that my 60gb will be replaced at no charge. I will be getting another 60gb, now to get back all my game saves damn you Capcom and save protection!

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neemo6 /forum/post/18274499

Awesome news got a call today and was told that my 60gb will be replaced at no charge. I will be getting another 60gb, now to get back all my game saves damn you Capcom and save protection!

Nice! Save protection is the worst, not sure why that is done on some games. The data transfer utility does transfer them to a new PS3, but it is painful to use, at least it was for me.

On that same topic, anyone know if you use the backup utility and then upgrade the hard drive and restore if you lose those copy protected saves?

I did upgrade my original PS3's hard drive and I don't remember losing anything then, but I'm not sure if I had any copy protected saves then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
nice that they fixed it free of charge, I was gonna recommend that you just sell it and get a slim instead. I was pretty sure sony was doing a replacement program for the phat ps3 you could upgrade to a slim. Anyone heard anything about this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your lucky that the fees were waived, most are having to pay the $150 just to get the refurbished PS3's from Sony.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcher /forum/post/18275214

On that same topic, anyone know if you use the backup utility and then upgrade the hard drive and restore if you lose those copy protected saves?

I did upgrade my original PS3's hard drive and I don't remember losing anything then, but I'm not sure if I had any copy protected saves then.

If you backup and then restore data to the same system all of your data will remain including copy protected save. You only lose it if restoring to a different system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmz65 /forum/post/18276154

His fees weren't waived, he paid $150 already and this would be his second time.

This is correct I had paid $150 back in September for a refurb. Now since the refurb was 2 months past warranty they did want to charge me another $150 but that fee was eventually waived.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neemo6 /forum/post/18276995

If you backup and then restore data to the same system all of your data will remain including copy protected save. You only lose it if restoring to a different system.

That's what I was thinking, thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts