AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, since I already own a HiPix Htpc unit which works, I can merely buy Win XP and install it... then buy a firewire card and install it... and then buy a JVC 30K DVHS and install it... and then my XP HTPC will recognize it and then... after I buy some DVHS tapes... I can begin to record HDTV, is this right??? If not, what did I miss?

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Merc,

Yes you can do archiving at this point. However, the methods are somewhat cumbersome right now.

To send to D-VHS, you need to use JPELL's application (thanks!) which is command line driven and not yet 100% reliable. Others and I have had some issues with the directory and file naming convention that the Hipix and TitanTV creates. To ensure reliability, I've had to rename directories and files to something simpler that does not have things such as brackets and dashes.

The OnAir D-VHS tool has not been useful as it only works with one file at a time. This means 1 minute of programming based on the Hipix splits.

To get from D-VHS back to the PC requires setting up a filter based on research done by Leszek1 (thanks!). It's not really an app but creating a filter using graphedit. It also does not split up the files into 1 minute segments.

The OnAir D-VHS tool can restore from D-VHS in a slick manner including file splits. Unfortunately the naming convention is foreign to Hipix...

More info can be found at:

http://www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm
http://www.sasem.com/english/guest/index.html

I think both JPELL and Leszek1 are working on updates. The seemless integration of D-VHS to the Hipix is on the "to-do" list for the Hipix development team. The future looks bright!

All, please feel free to correct me.

Regards, Peter

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
This is why I love my dtc100's. Just plug it on and it works. No messing around with computer junk. And with the ability to record sat in the near future. Heaven. Especially if my dish 5000's become paper weights, it will be the only game in town.

dave

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fireball: Thanks, but I have no desire to subscribe or eventually record satellite at all.

Hi ABQ-Pete: Thanks for the update. I had already downloaded all of the files and read the threads on AVS about the process and thought that the HiPix to JVC part of the process was working perfectly? Guess not. I do not plan on using the HiPix for DVHS playback duties. I just want to playback the tapes directly from the JVC and use the JVC's component video outputs to connect directly to my HDTV. Will playback work in this manner for the tapes originally recorded by the HiPix?

Dave: I thought you love your dtc100s because they make you money? Aren't you one of the owners or otherwise involved with the company that does the alteration on the DTC-100s? If so, go ahead and send me one so that I can evaluate and review it. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
I just want to playback the tapes directly from the JVC and use the JVC's component video outputs to connect directly to my HDTV. Will playback work in this manner for the tapes originally recorded by the HiPix?
Merc,

Yes, It will work this way. The neat thing about the JVC is that as you are sending the data over firewire, you can monitor the results on the display attached to the component output of the JVC.

Dave is a good guy and has helped me with 169Time. He is also our only link to them. Please be nice to him! :)

Regards, Peter

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, Did you even bother to READ my post before YOU replied with your accusation ********? A question mark at the end of a sentence usually means that the person is asking a question. All it required is a simple answer, such as: "No, I am not affiliated with that product or company." Was that too hard for you to do? I don't remember EVER asking you this question before... Did I? Next time, please just read the post before you jump to conclusions and accuse someone wrongly. Thanks.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Dave has previously said he has no business or financial connection to 169time, except for buying their products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.