·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I pre-ordered on Amazon awhile ago.

I hope Criterion releases the Samurai Trilogy (with Mifune) on Blu-ray soon.

I called them to request it; they said there's a good chance they'll release it on Blu-ray eventually, but no idea when...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
One of the issues I have with the Criterian dvd's is that they're window boxed. If your screen is set up for zero overscan, like mine, you get black bars on all four sides.

The review on Blu-ray.com fails to comment about this, which gives me hope the new BD's won't have this issue. If anyone happens to obtain either of these BD's, would you please advise us as to whether or not Criterian has eliminated the window box look?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady /forum/post/18291728

One of the issues I have with the Criterian dvd's is that they're window boxed. If your screen is set up for zero overscan, like mine, you get black bars on all four sides.

The review on Blu-ray.com fails to comment about this, which gives me hope the new BD's won't have this issue. If anyone happens to obtain either of these BD's, would you please advise us as to whether or not Criterian has eliminated the window box look?

The Third Man was windowboxed on DVD but not on Blu-ray. I don't know if any of Criterion's releases on BD so far have been windowboxed. In fact, I think I only have one BD in my entire collection that's windowboxed (Paprika).

I just want to know why all of Criterion's BDs suddenly cost so much more on Amazon. It's pissing me off.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wonder if it's going to be as lackluster as their Kagemusha BluRay transfer.

Criterion hasn't really been hitting them out of the park with their BD transfers....

·
Registered
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/18291902

I just want to know why all of Criterion's BDs suddenly cost so much more on Amazon. It's pissing me off.

Cause the Studio Canal titles are going out of print afaik. Lion's Gate now owns a large part of the SC catalog.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone /forum/post/18292305

Cause the Studio Canal titles are going out of print afaik. Lion's Gate now owns a large part of the SC catalog.

But how many of those titles are StudioCanal titles? I thought the only BD going out of print because of that was Pierot le fou. On Amazon, I've seen almost every recent and upcoming Criterion BD title jump from $24 and $28 each to $30 and $35 apiece.

Edit: M jumped from $28 to $35, 8 1/2 jumped from $24 to $30, Bigger than Life jumped from $25 to $32.50, Paris, Texas jumped from $28 to $33, Revanche jumped from $25 to $30, etc, etc.

The prices are kinda ridiculous now, especially with films from other studios coming out at lower and lower prices and it's really going to cut down on the number of Criterion titles I buy.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins /forum/post/18292156

Criterion hasn't really been hitting them out of the park with their BD transfers....

There are already screen caps out for these two and they look really, really great.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/18292423

Edit: M jumped from $28 to $35, 8 1/2 jumped from $24 to $30, Bigger than Life jumped from $25 to $32.50, Paris, Texas jumped from $28 to $33, Revanche jumped from $25 to $30, etc, etc.

The prices are kinda ridiculous now, especially with films from other studios coming out at lower and lower prices and it's really going to cut down on the number of Criterion titles I buy.

Again, I fear we've been spoiled by today's comparatively low BD prices to what titles used to cost during the heydays of LD (Criterion or otherwise), which were typically double, or more. Also, as Criterion titles tend to fall in the 'niche' category, one can expect to pay a little more.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/18294144

Again, I fear we've been spoiled by today's comparatively low BD prices to what titles used to cost during the heydays of LD (Criterion or otherwise), which were typically double, or more. Also, as Criterion titles tend to fall in the 'niche' category, one can expect to pay a little more.

I was *already* paying more for Criterion discs. While I was paying $18-22 for new releases from other studios, I had no problem paying $24-28 for Criterion discs. But now they want $35 for some titles. That's almost double what I'm paying for some new releases.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a few Criterions, and had planned on buying more - but at that price I am not going to continue. If they come back down to $25 and under I will happily buy them all.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have just recently been introduced to the world of Kurosawa, and have been on a binge lately (Rashomon/Yojimbo/Sanjuro/Ikiru/High and Low/Seven Samurai) -- thank you, Netflix streaming. Now I just need to get my hands on discs for the ones I can't stream... but I digress.

I'm definitely looking forward to possessing as many of these films as possible on Blu-Ray -- happy to hear the transfers so far have been very good!

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec /forum/post/18300672

I have just recently been introduced to the world of Kurosawa, and have been on a binge lately (Rashomon/Yojimbo/Sanjuro/Ikiru/High and Low/Seven Samurai) -- thank you, Netflix streaming. Now I just need to get my hands on discs for the ones I can't stream... but I digress.

I'm definitely looking forward to possessing as many of these films as possible on Blu-Ray -- happy to hear the transfers so far have been very good!

Throne of Blood, Ran, Red Beard
Also, if you like classic samurai films, I would encourage you to look at Harakiri - one of my favs.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LejfK /forum/post/18301301

Throne of Blood, Ran, Red Beard
Also, if you like classic samurai films, I would encourage you to look at Harakiri - one of my favs.

Harakiri is very good.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins /forum/post/18292156

Kagemusha was a big improvement on the DVD. Some films are never going to look as good as a newly minted blockbuster and I fear Kagemusha is one of those. I think we'll see a lot of Kurosawa's earlier work looking better than his later work. Even in the DVD realm, his newer (mostly the color) films just didn't have the definition of the older ones. I don't know if it was the stock used or whether the only masters available are of substandard quality. But I think the sad truth is films like Kagemusha and RAN will never look as good as we want them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec /forum/post/18300672

One of my favourites is The Lower Depths. It's an amazing film. I really hope it makes it to blu-ray sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts