AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SW64 is designed to allow the attachment of 3 sat. dishes and has output for 4 receivers. But it is expensive.

There is another alternative which I am currently using. You can use the lesser expensive SW44 and a SW21.

Here is how you attach the three satellite dishes using the SW44/SW21:

1. With a Dish 500 attach the 2 feeds from the 119 and the 2 feeds from the 110 sats to the SAT side of the SW44.

2. Run a short RG6 cable from one of the TO RECEIVER ports (AND MAKE SURE THAT IT IS NOT THE #1 PORT WHICH HAS THE POWER MODULE ON IT) to one side of the SW21. Attach the feed from a SINGLE LNB Sat Dish pointed at either 61.5 or 148 (depending on where you live) to the other side of the SW21. Then attach the DISH 6000 to the SW21 and do a "Check Switch" in the installation menu.

The 6000 will get all programming from 119, 110 and 61.5 (or 148) while non-HDTV STB's will get 119 and 110. Also remember to do a "check switch" test on all other receivers.

This was given to me by DISH Technical help.

The DISH 500 comes with 2 SW21's soi the only other expense is the SW44 which I bought from Dish for $100.

Lee

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
There is another option if you only need 2 IRD's as well.

Most Dish systems these days are shipping with the TWIN LNB - 2 coax output, and the TWIn has a builtin swith for 119 and 110. You can cascade with a SW21 just like you did on the SW44 for the Dish6000.

BTW - to use Lee's method, put the SW21 and 6000 on some port BESIDE port 1. Port 1 is where the power insertor needs to go, and you don't want to put the SW21 between the inserter and the SW44, otherwise you may fry the SW21, or at the least, when your 6000 is watching 61.5, all the other IRD's go dead from the SW44 not having power. This SW44 cascade is good for only 2 receivers as well, so if you need 4 model 6000's all getting HD from Dish, you still need the SW64.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Okay, I'm a little confused (but enthusiastic, as I want to set this up this weekend if possible!).

Does the SW21 require power? Does the SW44 require power? If you go 6000 -> SW21 -> SW44, how is the SW44 getting power? Do you need to connect a second receiver to port 1?

Thanks!

PS: Do the 61.5 and 148 birds have all the same programming? I can see both, so I'd like to know which to point at.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The SW21 pulls its power from the IRD.

The SW44 is similar to the SW64 in that it also requires a power inserter.

The power input for both the SW44 and the SW64 are both on port1. You do not need to put an IRD on port1 - in fact, unless you have 4 IRD's, it is recommended that you DON'T !

The only difference between the HD programming on 61.5 and 148 is that the Dish HDTV Demo channel is not on 148. Maybe the CBS East feed is only on 61.5 and CBS West feed is only on 148.

------------------

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
>>The power input for both the SW44 and the SW64 are both on port1. You do not need to put an IRD on port1 - in fact, unless you have 4 IRD's, it is recommended that you DON'T !

Never heard this before. I've been doing it for over a year without problems so what's the beef and why should having IRD's on the other 3 ports make port 1 safer for an IRD on that port. Also, if you do have to put IRD's on other than port 1 then you will need an extra cable to supply power to port 1. Also, the instructions that come with the SW64 show a receiver connected to port one with the power inserter in that line. If it is dangerous to do this (I don't think it is) then who bears the liability?

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Ah, that explains it. Sounds much like my amplified RF distribution amps. Thanks much!

By the way, do Dish resellers stock the SW44 in your experience? I could order directly from Dish, but if I could find one locally, that would allow me to put it up this weekend.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Couldn't a SW42 cascaded with a SW21 work?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm using a dish 500 with the twin LLNB (looks like one big wide LNB) cascaded together with my 61.5 dish using two SW21's. This solution works great and saves the expense of a SW64. Of course it does limit you to two receivers and it does not work with all Dish receivers.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken.

I assume that the SW42 is 4 inputs and 2 outputs. If that is the case then it should work.

You would attach the 119 and 110 to the 4 inputs of the SW42. If the SW42 uses the "power module" running on port #1 then you would attach a cable from port#2 to the left side of the SW21 and the 148 single lnb feed to the right side of the SW21.

Then you connect the 6000 to the SW21's single receiver port.

The SW44 as I ASSUME (watch that word) works the same way as the SW42. It combines the 119 and 110 sats whicthat combined signal is sent to the SW21 which adds the 148 sat.

Once everything is hooked up, you do the "check switch" under the Multi-Dish option of the Installation menu.

If you do the 6000 it will come up SW21. If you had another DISH receiver, when doing the "Check switch" it would come up SW42.

I would play it safe and call DISH (1-800-333-3474) and get to technical support. Tell them that you know it will work with the SW44/SW21 because tech. Support gave me this option. You just want to know if it will work with the SW42/SW21 combo.

If I was a betting man...I would bet that it will.

I must say that I never knew how many different switches and LNB combinations DISH offers.

Lee

·
Registered
760 Posts
Now if there was just a way to hook up four satellites. 61.5; 110; 119 and 148. Then one could receive both CBS HDTV East and West.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm intrigued as to whether the Dish dual LNBs will work with the RCA 8900 setup if mounted to occupy the 110 and 119 slots.

Its a lot cheaper to pick up a Dish 500 upgrade kit with all the hardware and just trash the Dish.

Has anyone tried this?

Any thoughts?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yes it does work (at least using D* LNB's (but DON'T use the SAT C kit for 110). Scott Grezkowski (sorry about the mis-spelled, but I think you're used to it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ). is using 119 /110 for E* and 101 for D*. Use a multiswitch on the 119, then you can dedicate 2 outputs of the swtich to E* and 2 to D*. See the following URL for wiring diagrams. http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm

------------------

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I missed that one. I've got a 100 foot cable but only need a one receiver setup. It may be touch and go.

This page is particularly helpful: http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/md...witchtests.htm

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Hot,

The Dish recievers can't deal with both 61.5 & 148. I can't remember the details, but it was discussed somewhere here lately, sorry.

Ken

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
How many times does it have to be said - "ANY special Dish equipment (that TWIN LNB is a good example, so are using any Dish switches) WILL NOT work for DirectTV equipment". Even if you can manage to get that TWIN on the oval dish, your DirectTv equipment won't know how to deal with it.

That link I posted on the dsa8900e.htm are the ones that are known to work. One other possibility - if you could find a gadget to generate the 22kHh for Dish equipment, you could use the 4x4 D* switch as the direct connection to the 119 LNB, put the 22kHz generator on the outputs to the dish equipment. And as I said, DON'T use the SAT C kit for the Dish 110.

------------------

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
Hot,

The Dish recievers can't deal with both 61.5 & 148. I can't remember the details, but it was discussed somewhere here lately, sorry.

Ken

I think I really knew that, however I wish it was possible. Maybe when the HDPVR-921 comes out next year it will be able to accept four satellite inputs.

Actually with four orbital slots we will soon need movable dishes like my C/Ku band 10' dish in my backyard. The reason I went to DISH was because of the time delay while the big dish moved from one satellite to another.

If DISH buys Direct TV and adds the 101 slot we will have five satellite slots.

Thanks for answering.

------------------

Hot

[This message has been edited by Hot (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a bare SW42? I don't need the other stuff.

Or if I can't find one post a diagram for using a SW44? I'm not sure where the power inserter would go relative to the SW21.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
Is it possible to hack an SW21 to look like half of a SW42?
Yes, it can be made to look like any of the Dish Network swiches that use 125 bps signaling, or even the older 22 kHz switches. This is not really a practical thing to do however.

One method is to build my Dish Network Switch Protocol Logger. The firmware already has code for all the various switches, just uncomment the personality you want. I made all these screen shots using only a SW21 - I didn't have any other Dish Network swithes at the time.

Quote:
Or hack the twin LNB to split the signal prior to the switch?
No.

[This message has been edited by Kevin T (edited 09-03-2001).]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.