AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know you have a good picture on your TV when ....

My cat (stinky) no long looks out the window in my home at birds, rabbits and stuff...she sits down right in front of my Sony 53" RPTV and watches TV with me.

She is a big sports fan...

·
Registered
395 Posts
My dog Chip sits at my TV or front projection HT and barks at the other dogs, cats or animals on the screen.........must be pretty life like, or I have a crazy, weird dog !!!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
my dog loves to watch the show in our theater....as well as sleep on the stage, leaning up against the proscenium :p

Rich

·
Registered
573 Posts
You know you have a good pciture on your TV when . . .

. . . the red push is fixed so skin tones look like real humans instead of blushing sunburned alpine skiers and the red football uniforms of teams like Fresno State, Nebraska, and the KC Chiefs don't glow. :D

Rick

·
Registered
731 Posts
You know you have a good pciture on your TV when . . .

Door to door sales people and Jehova Witnesess forget what they were going to say....and just stare at the TV over your shoulder with thier mouths open

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
you know you have a good picture when...

your friends go to blockbuster on tuesday, rent dvds and come over to watch them over your house..oh and i tell them to buy pizza too!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Jehova Witnesess forget what they were going to say....
Oh, they usually do anyway... I invite 'em in, but only after I stuff in a John Holmes movie...

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
My friends have already sworn off the public theater unless something big comes out. They said they will wait until it comes out on DVD and bring it over then. And I've only had the projector up a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You know you have a good picture when you rather spend more time in your home theater room than any where else. I personally have a pretty good setup but due to working 7 days a week making me miss my home theater room very much.

Bill

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
My friends have already sworn off the public theater unless something big comes out. They said they will wait until it comes out on DVD and bring it over then. And I've only had the projector up a couple of weeks.
I agree, i dont go to the movies anymore, last movie i went to see was star wars eposide 2, if its not kids screaming, its cell phones and beepers ringing and people talking loud.

and now we get to see 15 minutes of commercials in top of all....

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Folks:

I've used the notion of "immersion" for years to describe the aural and visual experience associated with audio and video environments. Immersion means that you forget your surroundings and are intellectually and emotionally engaged somewhere else. Other folks have called this "flow."

Anyway, the concept comes from some virtual reality research I was involved in several years ago and still strikes me as a viable way to evaluate A/V set ups.

Immersion can happen with a book as well as with a $40K front projector, so it is NOT a technical measure assessing the extent to which the technology is the same as "reality." Instead it is a subjective measure that is dependent on the programming content, the setting, the technology and even the mood of the viewer/listener. More a description of the "balance" between good content (audio and/or video), the room, the tech and the people. Obviously there are some technical "thresholds" like surround sound, large screen, etc. that enhance the ability of viewers/listeners to be immersed, but that is only part of the formula.

I know I have a good picture in our current media room because I frequently find myself immersed :D in the music and visual environment such that I am no longer consciously aware of being in the extra bedroom on the second floor of my house. Many guests to our media room, whether coming to listen to multi-channel hi-res audio or watch a movie on our widescreen DLP, often describe their experience in immersion terms.

I KNOW I have a good picture! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.