AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I'm looking for is an a nice 3.1 system that looks great and sounds even better. Ideally I would like to get the best R/C/L combo possible as I mainly watch TV, movies, and play games, and I would prefer towers over bookshelves. While I don't listen to much music, currently don't have a setup, I do want to hear every individual string on SRV's guitar. Also, I would be fine adding the sub latter if investing that money back into the front 3 would make a difference.

Our house is great for entertaining as we basically have 1,500 sft great room with a small hodge podge of walls, but a lot furniture art ect. With that said, I'm a bit greedy and hate hosting parties so as long as the sound is fantastic right in front of the couch I'm set.

A few speakers that listened to lately include the Focal Chorus 814, which sounded great. I also saw an open box return of some def tech 70004's for just under $300 a piece.

Now your turn, what would you buy with my money. Please spend away.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You could get the super easy to drive OneCall Boston Acoustic VR3/VRC bundle . Since they are discontinued you're getting them at less than half price. But you'll need more than $1200 worth of subs to fill 14,000+ cubic feet. A 2 or 3 Hsu Research VTF-15s might do it. I'd give them a call and Elemental designs and have them size the sub(s).

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Read the review of the Focal Chorus 826W in Stereophile. The 826v is not far behind. 836vs in that size of a room might be better but, now we are out of your price range.

How about some B&W 683s?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/19618253

Read the review of the Focal Chorus 826W in Stereophile. The 826v is not far behind. 836vs in that size of a room might be better but, now we are out of your price range.

How about some B&W 683s?

$2k in that large of a room....

Energy CF-70s and CC-10 center plus dual elemental Designs A2-300 subwoofers or a single A5-350 if you don't want dual subs.

Otherwise I would look at PSB T5 and C5 with the above elemental Design subs. OR if you can push the budget for the T6 and C5 and an A3-300 sub...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A 1,500sqft room (a room the size of an average house) with an 8' ceiling = 12,000cuft. Darn few 1500sqft great rooms have an 8' ceiling. 10-15+ is more likely which puts it at at least 15,000cuft. It's going to take a lot of sub(s) to fill a space that large. Contact Hsu and eD for advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts