AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you're entire movie collection consists of VHS recorded off the free HBO, Cinemax, and Starz deals with a 2 Head Mono VCR at EP Speed.

you consider a 19" Mono TV and a 2 Head Mono VCR as your entertainment system.

you complain to others who DO have surround sound systems about the sound being in the back and not being at the TV where it's being seen.

I can't think of anymore at the moment. Anymore Joe-6-Pack Jokes are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
You've heard of high definition, and you're pretty sure that it's "some kinda scientifical type thing".

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
you're entire movie collection consists of VHS recorded off the free HBO, Cinemax, and Starz deals with a 2 Head Mono VCR at EP Speed.

you consider a 19" Mono TV and a 2 Head Mono VCR as your entertainment system.

you complain to others who DO have surround sound systems about the sound being in the back and not being at the TV where it's being seen.
You know that describes my life perfectly up until ~18 months ago :) I taped/copied over 150 movies from free previews, rentals and borowing from friends. Watching on a 19" 1992 Magnavox tv, with a 2 head mono Magnavox VCR, hooked up via RF, all tapes in SLP/EP so I could fit 3 movies per tape. :) But at one point I did hook up an aux speakers to my VCR, couldn't do it on my tv since it had no outputs.

Then I got a 32" TV, DD5.1 system, DVD Player, Stereo SVHS VCR, 5 disc CD changer and a PVR :D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Of course we had a thread with the identical title on this subject six months or so ago...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did we? I remember a thread similar to this at Home Theater Forum. That was before the $*#@%@&*s banned me. Anyway, my dad likes surround sound and has an idea of widescreen. He's never complained about it. In fact, one day, when I was riding with him in the car, he asked me what FullScreen means on a DVD. So, I explained it. But, when he wants to record anything on VHS, he choses EP speed. All our VCRs are HI FI 4 heads now. He has a mono VCR and a 13" TV in his Semi Truck. With not a lot of room, he choses EP to get 3 movies on 1 tape to save space. He seems to be buying the HI GRADE tape now. Speeds that low need very very very good tape.

You might be a Joe 6 Pack if you are this guy. http://members.aol.com/savetele/

I dunno if it's a joke or what. I've emailed him about it. "No, no. You're wrong. Letterbox preserve's the theatrical aspect ratio." He's pretty stubborn too.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
He seems to be buying the HI GRADE tape now.
I always bought the cheap Poloriad 6 1/2 hours (labled as T-120, but actualy T-130) blanks at Walmart. For one reason. They gave me two lables for the front of the tapes, incase I screwed up. I'm bad at spelling, and most of the time I can't read my own chicken scratch. Now I'm spending $7 a tape for SVHS.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Garrison

You might be a Joe 6 Pack if you are this guy. http://members.aol.com/savetele/

OMG- I've run across this guy!!! He swears wide-screen is censorship. I want so badly to believe his crap is all a sick joke but I know it's not. He believes. That's what we're up against. BTW, chalk me up for taping VHS in EP mode - except I was dubbing tape-to-tape from the video store *g* But i was the first one on my block to buy a DVD player and then I embraced the power of the dark side- and I'm on my 2nd projector...

Fred

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have no interest in debating you.

He'll probably answer you for a little bit saying films should be reformatted for TV. His opinions do NOT count since he is not ACCURATE to what he is saying. He's saying that 99.9999% of the people don't like letterbox. Heh. BULL! He did NOT do any research an come up with that number. From the polls I've seen, some or 60% widescreen, and 40 % Foolscreen. And some could be 45 % Wide and 55% Fool. Depends which group of people we poll at. So, right now, it's basically 50-50 and Widescreen is starting to win. Heh, it already WON. Just gotta get those damn movie channels to start showing their movies in OAR. I see Sci FI is doing it now too.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
---just because someone chooses to watch something in pan & scan doesn't mean their stupid. A lot of people know the difference and still choose P&S. It shouldn't bother anyone because both formats are readily available; making both sides happy. Personally, I've been collecting widescreen movies for ten years now (My first real purchase was the Star Wars Definitive Edition on LD) and prefer OAR. So what if some don't want OAR; who cares? Besides, we all know in a few years the p&s crowd is gonna get screwed anyways when 16x9 sets take over. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You gotta point Mr Han. When thier 4x3 set breaks down and all that are left is 16x9 sets, they are basically screwed if all they have is Pan and Scan.

BTW, that "We have no interest in debating you" is what that guy says after he's done TRYING to make his point, which he has none of.

I don't take kindly to Joe 6 Packs because the more Pan and Scan crap they buy, the more Pan and Scan crap will be released. You know. Supply and demand. Also, a director chooses an aspect ratio and EXPECTS it to be used on ANY type of media. Right now, he probably don't care if it's Pan and Scanned on VHS. I've heard about directors who did NOT want their movies pan and scanned AT ALL. And they took it to court. I dunno if he won or not.

You might be a Joe 6 Pack if you consider any video and/or audio format high quality as long as there are no black bars.

You might be a Joe 6 Pack if you don't care about sound and picture quality, just as long as you can hear or see it, as long as there's no black bars.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I agree that there's a place for both P&S and Widescreen. When my movie watching was on a 32" screen, P&S was a decent trade off for a larger image. Now with a 16X9 projector, I get really PO's when Ball Busters offers only P&S versions of new releases. Austin Powers? Insomnia? Are you kidding?

But for those still slogging through on a 27" TV, P&S isn't a bad option at all. I've actually been suprised BB used to carry as many widescreen titles as they did considering the average clients TV size. But now that that average display size is increasing, why the hell are they moving to P&S?

·
Registered
471 Posts
IF.....................

You still keep your DVD player set to 4:3 when you buy a new digital 16:9 TV.................. I've seen this !!!!!!!!

If............ (true story), like a neighbor of mine........ you don't like widescreen because you don't want to miss what's going on "behind" the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture..............:confused:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrhan
---just because someone chooses to watch something in pan & scan doesn't mean their stupid. A lot of people know the difference and still choose P&S. It shouldn't bother anyone because both formats are readily available; making both sides happy.
Well put. I found this nut only slightly more unreasonable than the "everything should be widescreen only" crowd.

Oh, and to contribute to the thread, Jeff Foxworth said it best...

You might be a [joe sixpack] if the stand for your new TV is... your old TV.

·
Registered
728 Posts
"You might be a [joe sixpack] if the stand for your new TV is... your old TV."

Strange, I've seen several pictures here of people mounting their new digital projector on top of their old CRT model....

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If you go to Radio Shack to by an RCA y-adapter to hook up your mono vhs to the aux input of your all in one shelf system for a better Home Theater kind of thing.................. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Garrison
A 2CH "purist" might say that too. :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
you buy an hdtv and don't know it's an hdtv (you bought it because you liked the matching stand)

you say things like "i only buy bose. they're the best."

when you get your new hdtv, you talk about how you watch progressive scan now. the kid at best buy, properly, convinced you that now you need a new 300 dollar 480p player. you talk about how amazing the quality is. the dvd player is hooked up by s-video in 480i 4:3 mode. the tv does not have vertical compression on.

you still buy the pan & scan versions of dvds because you "want them to fit the screen" they play on your widescreen set progressively stretched, deinterlaced, and filtered for color. you applaud the quality

you buy an all-in-one home theater at somewhere like radio shack. you stack the stb and all the speakers on top of your tv.

you are excited to be watching your digital cable on your new digital tv. this must be what they are talking about when they talk about dtv.

you say things like "what's the best surround sound thing i can get for less than 200 dollars?"

you buy ANYTHING new on dvd, you refer to movies made before 1996 as "old." you buy anything on sale as well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
when you hear about someone getting an hdtv, you say excitedly, "is it like those flat ones you can hang on the wall?" when the person says no, you say "why not? those things are cool."

they see your loewe aconda 38" and say "it's not even flat!" or "it's not THAT big"

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you just hadda pay $126 to get your 2 Head Mono VCR repaired when you COULD have got a new one, or maybe even a DVD player for $70.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.