Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I'm trying to do a re-arrangement of my furniture with some new speakers and TV and I wanted to get your opinions on layout. Right now I think my fronts are too close. And I think my sub feels too localized...the manufacturer of my speakers recommends a placement between the front left and right speaker...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. And feel free to suggest alternate placement. Although it may be limited as I don't want direct light from the window to shine on the TV.

How it is NOW: It's pretty straightforward, but I think the soundfield is hampered by speakers being to close and obstruction from my shelves.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/members/exsilio/now.gif

Idea 1: This version is bilateral in layout...and the front shave been spaced to match the width of the couch. My only concern is the traffic from from behind the couch. You can see it comes in front of the open space which leads to the kitchen. Btu I think this offers greater freedom of placement for the rear speakers.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/members/exsilio/idea1.gif

Idea 2: This is a basic avariation on how I have things now. Except I have moved the possible obstructions of the shelves and moved the couch forward with the rear speakers now being at the rear and at an angle.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/members/exsilio/idea2.gif

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like #2. What if you took this layout and rotate it about 45 degrees clockwise with the TV at 3 o'clock-ish. Although, you may not want to walk directly into the couch arm from the "open space" entry.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I like the 3rd one better. Best to keep the sub inside the main speaker range. They say bass can't be localized, but, you can feel it off to one side, and that can probably sound too uncomfortable. So, keep the subwoofer to the inside of the right or left speaker.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
>>I like the 3rd one better

Yeah, but that picture window will cause a glare problem if you don't have some light blocking curtains

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback. I have been moving a few things around and trying to see how it looks. I can't test the sound until this weekend.

and one issue with #2 is the cabling. It will be more exposed than ever..anyone have some tips on how to hide the wiring?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Not too WAF friendly, but home depot sells those rubber wire stip thingys to cross over door ways, etc. I know they are ugly, but with your rears in the middle of the room, your only other option is to pull up carpet, if not on wood floors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, WAF is important..but I have an idea to perhaps run the speaker wire under the couch and use a staple to attach the speaker cable to it so you can't see it..but that presents the problem of accidentally moving the couch and ripping the able out of the speaker...ouch! :eek:

So...it will take further thinking I guess. Thanks again all...more feedback is always appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm working on the diagram as we speak...I showed them to the WAF committee and got approval to begin work on idea number 1. ;) So I just need to move a few things around on the diagram to get the sub in place.

Now..would the rears be bust BEHIND the couch? At the CORNER of the couch? Or at the SIDE of the couch?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Need more info on speaker brands/types (especcially surrounds)...and height(?) for surrounds, also, are you interested in movies more or will multi-channel music come into play?.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Peccavi,

Okay, here's the run down:

Fronts:

B&W's 602.5 S3's (about 3' high)

Rears:

B&W's 600 S3's (w/ 24" stands 35" high)

Center:

B&W LCR 60 S3

Sub:

B&W LSW 300 (saved here for small room)

Listening habits:

Movies

Multi channel sound occasionally. Mostly stereo sound.

My main concern is that my couch is a fairly high back couch...so I want to try and swing the rears close to the arms which are lower.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I will be doing a similar layout to your second picture (45 degree angle seating)

I will run the rears ither under a thick rug that will anchor the furniture on the hardwood floors (with the back of the sofa on the back edge of the rug)

OR

If that does not seem to work I will pull the rears straignt back to the walls closest to the corners of the sofa... this would allow you to run the wires along the edge of the floor on both sides....perhaps pull out the moulding or run from under the floor.

Would it be possible for you to place the sub behind the TV in the corner (?)(asking others as well as I don't know if that would be appropriate)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think #2 will give you the best sound. My only other recommendation would be to place the sub in the corner behind the television for optimum integration with your mains.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'd move the table from all layouts. It is likely to have an audible effect.

Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had thought about placing the sub behind the tv...it only presents an issue becauseof the tv's girth..so if I need to make changes to the sub it would be difficult. I was thinking behind the tv or perhaps bump the shelf on the right down and place the sub next to the right speaker. Any thoughts?

And Steve...the WAF would not approve of such a bold move! ;) The table will stay. I feel bad enough to subject her to rear speakers behind the couch...for me i think they'll look great, to her, an eye sore. :(

SO any opinions on the sub tucked in the corner behind the TV?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My HT is exacly like your #2. The sound is great. I mounted dipoles on the wall where you have your shelf, and the left wall. I then installed in-ceiling rear-channel speakers slightly behind the couch.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think you have a winner with your latest proposal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dodds
I'd move the table from all layouts. It is likely to have an audible effect.

Steve
Steve is absolutely right. The treble bounce from a table can affect your sound in a negative way, but if you keep it covered with junk this effect will be minimized. :)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Looks awesome!! Hey my soon to be layout is almost exactly like this, except I had been thinking of getting an ottoman to use as a "table" and getting rid of my hard table.

If you wanted to soften the look of the "sofa in the middle of the room" you could get a sofa table that is not too deep to place behind it. This could help the "look" when you enter the room and raise some points for your WAF!!

:)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ya! Those IKEA Sofa tables kick ass! :) :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.