AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your advice. I have found responses to be excellent, for the most part.

Situation:

Empty room dedicated to a HT: Size is 23 feet long, 11 feet high and 15 feet wide. Two medium-sized windows on one of the 23 feet walls (I will use heavy curtains, black shades, etc to limit light). The other 23 ft wall is just wall. The two 15 foot walls have no windows, just walls.

First row of four seats at 15 Ft, second row of four at approx 18 feet.

Screen selected is Stewart Luxus Deluxe Screenwall 4:3 grayhawk at 90 high and 120 wide (150 diagonal). I did this in lieu of a 16:9 screen as I can get the same 16:9 size (60X111) and a much bigger 4:3 image than the other way around. Speaker system will be Klipsch RF-7 system. Still have not selected A/V, but may get Aragon. Speakers will be floor models (3 front, 2 surround, two rear and one sub). I like movies and also like sports on TV (digital cable from Mediacomm).

WIth all this background, I need your help. I am having great difficulty picking a projector. I am willing to spend in the $5,000-$7,500 range. I thought seriously about the Sanyo PLV-70 but am not sure. I will watch 65% movies and 35% sports. I like good color and a nice sharp picture. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Hopefully??? I can get a consensus..... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
I would go with the JVC SX-21 and if you havent noticed, there is a powerbuy going on.
I agree with Daniel. BTW it's not just b/c he has a cool name either! :D

Daniel

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Most people here are going to tell you to go with a 16:9 screen. I suggest some more reading to make sure you understand your options - I'm wondering if you understand the tradeoffs you're making if you were considering trying to use PLV-70 (16:9 projector) on a 4:3 screen.

Screen issue aside, it make absolutely no sense to go with a 4:3 screen and get a 16:9 projector. That pretty much limits your choice to a JVC projector or something like the NEC HT1000.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
p.s. That's a huge Greyhawk (in terms of lighting up) for most of the projectors you are going to be looking at. I would not be using a screen with negative gain for that size and the projector price range (which relates to light ouput) you will be matching with it. The JVC could work but I would go with something with gain.

p.s. With the JVC SX-21, you will likely end up with less than 10 footlamberts at that screen size.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Do NOT buy the SX21 from AVS

just kidding

After endless research and heart searching

I bought the same PJ from AVS this week

Wish i'd know about the powerbuy :)

Seriously, this is one awesome PJ

and they have it at an amazing price

and Daniel is one seriously helpful and knowledgable guy

I have a tiddly 100" screen

I've recently heard of people with Sx21's and anamorphic lenses and 13 feet (176 inches) WIDE screen

watching films at 8 feet viewing and seeing no screen door!

I just cannot wait to get my PJ

and then begin the discussions with Alison about larger screens :)

Good luck

Rob

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QQQ:

Help me with the holes in my theory. I have two choices: a 16:9 screen that is aprox 118 inches wide and 66 high, which will ina 4:3 projection produce a 60X80 image OR I can get a 4:3 screen that is 90X120 (and get the full use of the screen in a 4:3 format and STILL get the 118X66 16:9. Where is my logic off on this theory?? Can't I still use a 16:9 projector and get a 118X66 picture (16:9) and get a 90X120 4:3. Will th projector you mentioned handle this situation?? 2 questions.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Peer
"Screen issue aside, it make absolutely no sense to go with a 4:3 screen and get a 16:9 projector. " -

Isn't the SX21 a native 4:3 projector? Seems to me a 4:3 screen would be the right choice for this machine.
Which is why I said his choice is JVC or the NEC.

apopple, I'll answer your question in detail later if someone doesn't get to it first.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The GrayHawk idea is great for better blacks but your screen size is streching it for most any projector. Maybe if Infocus had a 4.3 version of the 7200.

I agree with your 4.3 idea. At this place and time there's nothing wrong with getting a 4.3 screen.

(Tonight Oscar Dela Hoya vs Mosley, on a glorious 120" 4.3 image)

And don't hit me with that poor resoultion s/b small thing. A viewer last night thought Direct TV on that screen looked as good as DVD.

(Projector used, NEC HT1000) "XGA king!"

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Listen to QQQ. He is right.

If you go with that large 4:3 screen, you are limited to the JVC SX21 PJ, provided you go with a positive gain screen. The firehawk is your best bet, IMHO. I believe that even the SX21 is not bright enough to adequatly light up a greyhawk of that size.

If you go with a 16:9 PJ, the height of the projected image is the same when displaying 4:3 as it is when displaying 16:9. It is only the width that changes. So your extra height in screen will remain blank all the time. If you buy a 16:9 PJ, you want a 16:9 screen. At the size you are talking about, only the Infocus SP7200 is bright enough IMHO, and only with a positive gain screen. Again I would recommend the firehawk.

If I were you, I would choose between these two PJs and then decide on screen.

One negative thing to consider about having a huge 4:3 image is that most of the content in that shape that I watch comes from videotape, SDTV, and DVDs of older movies. They are typically of poorer quality and look really bad when blown up to such a large size.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Clearly, you people are the experts. I live in a small town and can not even see a demo of a projector; therefore my decision will be based on AVS opinions. How does everyone feel about the Sanyo PLV-70 (2000 lumens)? What I hear you telling me glenned is that the 16:9 projector will not increase the height of the picture from a 16:9 format. So my theory is flawed?

If I get the SX21, will the 16:9 projections suffer over getting a native 16:9 projector?

Again, thak you so much for your guidance, and patience. I will switch to the firehawk screen with the 1.35 gain if I get the SX21.

"QQQ: p.s. With the JVC SX-21, you will likely end up with less than 10 footlamberts at that screen size. "

It is my understanding that I need 17 footlamberts? Is that the average acceptable level and will the JVC SX21 produce that much with a firehawk screen?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Some of the experts here think 10 ft-L is a watchable image, but most prefer at least 15 ft-L for a satisfying image. How much brightness you need depends heavily on how much ambient light you'll have in the environment.

All other things equal, the larger the screen area, the lower your resulting ft-L. The negative gain of the Grayhawk lowers the ft-L even further. Your screen choice is going to make it extremely difficult to find a suitable projector (unless you want to consider some very bright presentation projectors).

Do yourself a favor and either accept a smaller screen or a high gain material. Then we can start talking about real choices.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Personally I would go 16:9 screen because it's the aspect ratio you will use most of the time and it's more relaxing to they eyes IMHO. 1 inch black border looks nice on an aluminum frame.

Also I would go with a much smaller screen 80-90" preferably. Because of PQ and punch!

I am not that big fan of gray screens. I really don't see why you would choose screen before you choose a PJ. They are One you know, Sauron and the Ring... Ehrm I mean the PJ and the Screen.. For the PJ I'm recommending I would choose the Stewart Fire-Hawk.

As for PJ, there are many new PJ's coming out as CEDIA shows. I would have a look at the new mid priced HD2 DLP projectors in your price range. Sim2 are notorious for their colors, Infocus have higher brightness. You can't really go wrong with the new DLP PJ's in that price range is what I'm trying to say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.